Make a new PC from old hardware

Hi there!
I got this hardware:

* Pentium 3 Mobile 600Mhz
* HDD 2.5'' 20GB
* 128 MB RAM
* PCMCIA Ethernet Card

What i want:

* A case for the new PC. A little case (CUBE CASE) with Power Unit in
it
* A motherboard were i can connect the Pentium 3 Mobile
* And if possible a video card in the motherboard (built-in)

Objective: Make a small server for home (Linux based)

Please reply with links for solutions.
Money is a issue, so cheap is good for me :D

I think you're unlikely to make this fly. Small cases us a motherboard with
a small form factor. I'm pretty sure that these motherboards are newer than
Pentium 3s. It's unlikely that anyone ever designed a small form factor
motherboard for a P3. Second, forget the PCMIA Ethernet card, sell that to
someone who can use it. I think that all new motherboards come with Ethernet
built in.

On 11 Aug 2004 17:58:51 -0700, jorge.laranjo@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi there!
>I got this hardware:
>
>* Pentium 3 Mobile 600Mhz
>* HDD 2.5'' 20GB
>* 128 MB RAM
>* PCMCIA Ethernet Card
>
>What i want:
>
>* A case for the new PC. A little case (CUBE CASE) with Power Unit in
>it
>* A motherboard were i can connect the Pentium 3 Mobile
>* And if possible a video card in the motherboard (built-in)
>
>Objective: Make a small server for home (Linux based)
>
>Please reply with links for solutions.
>Money is a issue, so cheap is good for me :D

P3 mobile is a mPGA type, right? If so, you won't find *desktop*
boards for it, you'd need reuse the notebook it came out of.
Likewise with the ethernet card, an adapter for a *desktop* PCI
slot is going to be more costly than just buying any typical
100Mb NIC.

On 11 Aug 2004 17:58:51 -0700, jorge.laranjo@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi there!
>I got this hardware:
>
>* Pentium 3 Mobile 600Mhz
>* HDD 2.5'' 20GB
>* 128 MB RAM
>* PCMCIA Ethernet Card
>
>What i want:
>
>* A case for the new PC. A little case (CUBE CASE) with Power Unit in
>it
>* A motherboard were i can connect the Pentium 3 Mobile
>* And if possible a video card in the motherboard (built-in)
>
>Objective: Make a small server for home (Linux based)
>
>Please reply with links for solutions.
>Money is a issue, so cheap is good for me :D

Sounds like you got the guts of a laptop there.
I'd give it up as a bad project.

Look on the bright side though - and get yourself down to your local
tip ( er, refuse recycling centre ).
I've got stacks of quality IT kit from the tip, and all for less than
a fiver. Currently putting together a kid's system based around a
1.4Ghz AMD on a Gigabyte raid board in a snazzy HP case!

Picked up a thing call a Patriot book PC a few weeks back. Tiny little
mo'board, 500mhz processor..and the noisiest PSU I've ever heard...but
with a few tweaks would make an ideal server project.
Thinking of fitting a passively cooled heatsink and power supply (
probably external ) and putting the guts into a home-made case to make
a 'spycam' server so's I can watch the deer eat my flowers in the
garden from the comfort of my armchair.

You should get a few quid on ebay for the processor and HD...

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Michael-NC wrote:
>
> > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

> >>He's definitely got a problem finding motherboards for a mobile P-III
but
> >>I'm not so sure you have a grasp of 'the job'.
> >

> > I see your point...

> > fill

> >>How in the world did you interpret 'small home linux server' to mean a
> >>multimedia PC?
> >

> > Ahh, there's your point. My bad, I read multimedia server there somehow.
> > That indeed renders my advice moot. Of course Linux can run on that
hardware
> > and run very well at that.

> >>For a 'small home linux server'?
> >

> > We already know what happened here...
> >

> >>As for Windows, I hate to burst the mongo memory myth but I have two
WinXP
> >>HTPCs, a version of 'multimedia PC': one, out of necessity, runs with
128
> >>Meg RAM and the other 256 Meg; and both are perfectly capable of 'the
> >
> > job',
> >
> >>as it were.
> >

> > What myth, that XP runs like a dog on 128MB? That's no myth, XP will run
but
> > disk swapping will be pretty darn severe.
>
> A fresh WinXP install uses about 96 Meg of RAM. While I wouldn't
> 'recommend' 128 Meg of RAM it works fine in my 'small' HTPC and to say
> WinXP will "run like a dog" and that "disk swapping will be pretty darn
> severe" is overly broad and presumptive. It *would* be slow if one throws
> everything, including the kitchen sink, into it but it isn't 'inherently'
> the case.
>
> > 256MB for most general use XP
> > boxes is fine.
>
> I agree.
>
> Having said that, I run 512 Meg on my two 'large' WinXP machines: the ones
> where I threw in the kitchen sink ;)
>
> > Gaming boxes and ahem, multimedia servers benefit from all
> > the ram that you can throw at them.
> >
> > BTW, looks like the OP stripped a laptop, I wonder what type of ram he
has?

> Good question. Since everything else was a notebook part I'd guess he's
got
> notebook RAM as well.

eBay would be a good place for him to visit. I just put up some items there
in the last few days. The last times I sold stuff was a couple years ago. I
diligently installed an FTP client, uploading my photos and brushed up on my
very weak HTML writing. When I listed the item, I found eBay had vastly
improved the process. Now you download a little app from eBay and _they_
host your photo. You merely point to the local location of the photo and it
gets uploaded, they also have a little editor that works pretty well,
nothing fancy but gets the job done... Kinda like 128MB of ram... ;-)

<jorge.laranjo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there!
> I got this hardware:
>
> * Pentium 3 Mobile 600Mhz
> * HDD 2.5'' 20GB
> * 128 MB RAM
> * PCMCIA Ethernet Card
>
> What i want:
>
> * A case for the new PC. A little case (CUBE CASE) with Power Unit in
> it
> * A motherboard were i can connect the Pentium 3 Mobile
> * And if possible a video card in the motherboard (built-in)
>
> Objective: Make a small server for home (Linux based)
>
> Please reply with links for solutions.
> Money is a issue, so cheap is good for me :D

eBay the lot of it, and get new-er things back from eBay. The Mobile P3
should go for a fair bit, and the 20GB disk is worth about £45 GBP alone.

For your refernce, i'm running a web / ftp / file server with the following
specs, and its working very well:

Asus LX Based Slot 1 motherboard
2x Pentium II's @ 233MHz
512Mb PC100
80GB 7200 rpm maxtor 8Mb cache HDD
Intel EtherPro NIC
Advanced Server 2000

However, i still notice a bit of slowdown when i try to browse a folder with
10GB of stuff in it, so you might want to go for gigabit, as thats where the
problems seem to be.

hamman

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:25:38 +1000, D.T <dtope@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>While everyone is commenting about memory reguirements. Has anyone got
>some comments about how much memory should be used to run the
>following:
>
>Win XP home
>Excell 2003 with a 25 Mb file loaded
>Internet explorer with 2 windows
>Mozilla Firefox with 20 Tabs open - I have ADSL
>Pocomail
>Mail Washer
>Agent -for Newsgroups
>

>Thanks for any ideas of requirements
>
>DT

One of the nice things about Xp is the Task Manager, that you can
right-click the taskbar to open Task Manager window and see the
memory on the "Performance" tab. In particular note the peak
value, as it should be lower than total physical memory
installed... and additional amounts of memory will be used to
cache files, reducing HDD access. So, there's two different ways
to look at memory needs, one is to eliminate swapping for virtual
memory but the other is to reduce rereads from the HDD as much as
possible by caching previously read files. Ideally you should
not merely try to match what your current needs are but buy
modules in cost-effective sizes, which for a home user typically
means 256 or 512MB per module. From your described use of
system, a pair of 256MB modules should be more than sufficient,
since those apps would probably use 225MB, though it also varies
based on those easily forgotten background apps, services, etc (a
very rough guess, someone else could probably be more accurate).