Make application use CPU more than 50%

houseinn2

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Hello,

one of my application is using only upto 50% of the CPU(I set the application set priority to real time.).Is there any way to make that application to use the CPU more than 50%?

Solution
Are you on a dual or quad core CPU ? -- many older programs are not designed to run on more than a single or 2 cores which is why it will only use 50% of your CPU for that program ( in order to increase the usage it would require the program you are using to be rewritten completely in order to be more multi thread capable so short of finding a newer program to use that was designed to use multiple cores there is not much that can be done other than Overclocking the CPU so that it is running the cores that are in use faster thus getting more done every second as it processes more cycles per second.

houseinn2

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Thank you for the reply.

OK.

I want to process 200mb file for search and replace.
Its taking about more than 1 hour.
I just want to know if it is possible to do it faster.

If I cannot do it running CPU more than 50%,is there any other way accelerating the application?

or any other search and replace application or any other OS?

Are you on a dual or quad core CPU ? -- many older programs are not designed to run on more than a single or 2 cores which is why it will only use 50% of your CPU for that program ( in order to increase the usage it would require the program you are using to be rewritten completely in order to be more multi thread capable so short of finding a newer program to use that was designed to use multiple cores there is not much that can be done other than Overclocking the CPU so that it is running the cores that are in use faster thus getting more done every second as it processes more cycles per second.

Solution

houseinn2

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Well thank you, JDFan.

I am on a dual.So,that means the application is old and do not run on multi processor.

By the way, I googled and found these BOINC and Orthos Prime.What do these do?

If you know, please share.

Martha39

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I am on a dual.So,that means the application is old and do not run on multi processor.

houseinn2

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

It means I have to do sth with HDD.

Then what should I do?