Question Make sure you do a hard CMOS reset when putting in a raptor lake in a motherboard that previously had Alder...

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
PSA, make sure you do a hard reset (short the RTC) on many z690 mobos that have been upgraded from Alder to Raptor. I just partially fried my 13900K somehow after replacing a 12900K in an Asus TUF Z690 Plus DDR4 motherboard. I upgraded to the latest firmware on Asus' site, shorted the RTC jumper while power was cut off and I thought I was golden. Booted up fine and worked well for a day or so after enabling XMP. Today, will no longer boot at XMP speeds and my M.2 slot 1 has gone bad. Found out the stupid motherboard was running the CPU at 1.5 volts for some reason, I thought the high temps was just expected with RL. In other words, the CMOS didn't reset when I shorted the RTC jumper with power off. I then shorted the RTC while computer was on. It was then everything was reset, but damage already occurred. Putting back my 12900K results in booting fine at XMP and M.2 slot 1 working again.

D

Deleted member 14196

Actually, that should be standard procedure when you replace any CPU

Don’t monkey with shorting pins ever. Go into the cmos and reset it like every other person. Learn that taking shortcuts is not the way to doing a good job.

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Actually, that should be standard procedure when you replace any CPU

Don’t monkey with shorting pins ever. Go into the cmos and reset it like every other person. Learn that taking shortcuts is not the way to doing a good job.
My chip was fine. It's just Asus' crappy Bios was at fault. Dropped the chip in a gigabyte z690 and now XMP/M2 slots work. Asus needs to stop releasing beta test bios labeled as release bios that bricks M2 slots and XMP. Already emailed them and posted in their forum. Lets see if they bother to fix this.

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
So after further research, it's Intel's 2nd bios on their latest motherboards that's at fault and Asus didn't bother to include it in their bios update for Raptor. You have to update the ME bios WITH the motherboard bios to get RL to work on ASUS Z690 motherboards. And it can only be done within a working windows install! What a PITA. At least M2 slots now work along with XMP profiles. Now I have to convince Newegg to take back a z790 mobo and DDR 5 combo without a restocking fee.