Make upgrades to current system, or get a new system.

train

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Hello all. I play Heroes of the Storm and WoW. My current system is an Intel i7 5820k, GTX980, 16 gigs ram all running stock. Unfortunately, I am only running two sticks of ram so the quad channel motherboard isn’t enabled. With the release of battle for Azeroth my performance in raids has dropped to 15fps at times with the settings turned down to 4. I play with it set to high priority in windows on a 1080 144mhz monitor. This is unacceptable to me.

Using Black Friday sales prices I built a new computer on CyberPower that I’m pretty happy with for just under 2k tax included. While I can spend 2k......I would rather not if I can avoid it.

If I buy say a new Samsung 970 pro and only put wow on it, get two additional ram chips to enable the quad channel, and oc the processor to 4.4 or so would the performance increase be enough or is it just time for a new system? I can also get a new GPU but I know wow is cpu based. Also, the new patch in wow is going to allow better multi core use....but it may take them awhile to have that tech up and running decently enough to matter.

Thanks for reading.

Try overclocking definitely before deciding on shiny new hardware.

A 4.4ghz oc on a beefy air cooler like the thermalright grand macho rt or noctua NH D15 or in a 240/280 aio like the kraken x62 would be a good choice.

You can always reuse the cooler for your new build.

train

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Will enabling the quad channel do anything at all? I have 3333mhz ram but it’s only running at 2133mhz at the moment.

Enabling xmp profile will get u running at 3300mhz.

Games don't need a quad channel memory bandwidth. They are not memory intensive like video editing/rendering works. So your 2x8gb is more than enough.

logainofhades

Titan
There is no reason you should be getting that bad of FPS, with your system. You have something else going wrong. A buddy of mine has an i5 4590, with a GTX 980 and he has no issues, in raids, and I know his settings are at least at 7, if not a bit higher. Make sure addons are up to date. Delete your cache and WTF folders, in WoW, and let WoW recreate new ones. Check your temps, make sure drivers are up to date. Check for any malware.