Discussion Make use of a garbage / nearly unusable 2.5" SATA III SSD

KetanBasi

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
A couple months ago I brought this EYOTA 512GB 2.5" SATA III SSD. I've tried benchmarking it using various tools and transferring +/-10GB of data manually, both work just fine. Then I tried to install Ubuntu but the next reboot takes longer than a previously installed Ubuntu on HDD. After roughly 3 days of research, turned out it's the SSD to blame, and the transfer rate falls to 1MB/s (yes, it IS worse than USB2.0, even Bluetooth).

I've tried to use the "discard" thingy on Linux disk access to auto trim on every deleted data, run trim more frequently, etc. but only got up to 1.4MB/s for a sec. Idk somehow, if I'm not mistaken, at the time the benchmark apps on Windows still showing full speed while the GNOME Disks app didn't even starts until around 10 min later with only 1MB/s. Emptying the entire disk & trim only gives back 400MB/s. No results, only dissapointment.

I need advice/ideas on how to make use of it (not advice about research before buying an SSD). I don't really like to throw anything away without making use of it.
I can use the outer case as a laptop stand with some extra work, but I still want to make use of the data storage if possible.
Any applicable idea (even bumb idea) is appreciated

Running some sort of a SMART scan such as crystaldiskinfo would give some insight into the health of the drive. Performance related issues could be caused by many things and are not always indicative of health.

If it has failed you could always still use it as a drink coaster I guess.

KetanBasi

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
Regardless of WRITE speed, does it have decent READ speed ?
Can you run CrystalDiskMark on it and post results ?
Along with the above requests, screencap of CrystalDiskMark, please

As far as I can remember +/-500MB/s for the first 10GB to 20, beyond that also falls to 1MB/s. I can use it to put OS installer too but I don't need it
After formatting/clearing and followed by TRIM, it reaches 400-500MB/s (test with GNOME Disk app, about 100MBx100 data test)
I'll attach the details & the test later since I don't have it with me rn, I'll try to get it asap

Are you saying that the SSD performs OK under Windows but not under Linux?

Unfortunately no, it still performs like "that" even in Windows but the test (at the time) shows that the disk is still performing with full speed.

How much did it cost?

Could be a scam product with couple of micro SD cards in it.
Would you be willing to open it up and look, what is inside?

Roughly US$30 (it said 40% off), I saw it like on the top 10 product list. I've take a peek and just like what I've seen on the internet, didn't seems like a scam. I can take a pic later. I'm not sure what chip is what.
The fact that most of people in my country only gives review for everything but the product, might be the reason how it reaches the top product list

I saw a recent post where a user had success with disabling Message Signaled Interrupts (MSIs).

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-100-percent-disk-usage-problem

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/PCI/msi-howto.html

I don't recall I've encountered this since I was testing & monitoring it with like bashtop on linux and only see the full 6 dots-height I/O, might be yes

I quote this to ask, OP, how much is your time worth to you?

If this is new and you have the ability, return it.
If you have already taken the time to get the results you have and are willing to also use more of your time for the various suggestions made, go for it.

Otherwise, consider a different drive for your needs.

I've bought it like 2 months ago, the return policy is limited to 3 days only since the arrival. Since I've spent more than 3 days to meddle with my system, nothing I can do, even the seller says nothing aboout it.

I've taken my lesson, I'm aiming at well-known brand such as Samsung EVO 870 and never take a peek at the top product list

KetanBasi

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
512GB, no name SSD, for $30?

Sounds like a scam device.

Test:
Copy 350-400GB to that device. Copy, not 'move'.
Then, copy that same 400GB from this "SSD" back out to some other known reliable device.

Is it all there and readable?

Well it only says the brand and yes if converted to USD, it'll be $30
Yes I've tried that, also only for the first 10-20GB since the R/W falls to 1MB/s, all good. I'll retest later

Thanks, at least those four drives works better than mine

USAFRet

Titan
Well it only says the brand and yes if converted to USD, it'll be $30
Yes I've tried that, also only for the first 10-20GB since the R/W falls to 1MB/s, all good. I'll retest later
No, that 'test' was to sort of determine the actual capacity.

With these scam devices, there are a couple of small flash drives inside.
Maybe 32GB total, of crap devices.

The firmware is flashed to report as 512GB or whatever.
And when you copy data to it, it simply overwrites again and again.

That 350-400GB 'test' was to see if it actually held 40)GB. No matter what it is telling you.