[SOLVED] Making a choice

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Hey guys,

Well after almost 4-5 years my X34 seems to be quitting on me, the old girl doesn't owe me a thing, but I need to find a replacement.

Wondering what my options are when I am looking for:
- minimum 32 inches
- IPS display
- minimum 3 sec resp. time.
- preferably curved
- G-sync or compatible

I am probably forgetting something but any thoughts or even better any monitors you guys are thrilled about and why I would love to hear about it.
Thanks.

Solution
doing a couple quick searches i really don't turn up much.
it seemed there was a much bigger selection when i was searching last year. maybe i was just including G-Sync Compatible in the mix at the time.

still have a link to Nvidia's G-Sync product page that lists certified products. hopefully they've kept it up to date:
Nvidia G-SYNC Monitors.

it appears these days that my Alienware is one of the few that offers good specs with an actual G-Sync chip.
trying to find a link to the Dell reseller that i got it from in case you wanted to check it out, but can't find the emails.
will update if i run across them. was only $649.99 vs the $1189.99 MSRP at the time.
the RTX 2080 S should have no problems pushing good fps and settings on a 34-35" 1440p ultra-wide.
last year upgraded from a 32" 16:9 to my 34" 21:9 and i would never go back.

there's many options in the ultra-wide category that fit your other specifications.

my
Alienware AW3420DW fits all of the above with great contrast, color, & brightness.
there are a few sellers on Amazon offering "re-certified" versions directly from Dell for half the MSRP that come with the original warranty.
mine came in the original packaging with all accessory packaging and all of the scratch resistant film still in place.
appeared perfectly new and has been functioning great for almost a year now.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
I totally agree, love my X34 very much and it's been a great monitor. I do find that the 2080 S does struggle at times, hence I am in line with everyone else to one day buy a 3080 which will help out.
Was on the fence a bit about Dell, I saw and read the description on that exact monitor.
But then again, I was "on the fence" about Acer and yet it's been wonderful, or, maybe I got lucky :)

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
I was wondering about this one...https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/7Qn8TW/lg-34gn850-b-340-3440x1440-160-hz-monitor-34gn850-b

My issue is with the G Sync compatible, I get it, it will work with both Free sync or G sync, but if the main support is for Free Sync and says it can "adjust" to G sync is that really going to be as good as a monitor that is G sync only??
Just curious if anyone has a Gigabyte card and are using a monitor that is G sync compatible.

My issue is with the G Sync compatible, I get it, it will work with both Free sync or G sync, but if the main support is for Free Sync and says it can "adjust" to G sync is that really going to be as good as a monitor that is G sync only?
Freesync displays function okay in the "G-Sync compatible" mode,
but anything with an actual G-Sync chip will function better.

i was using an ultra-wide MSI Optix Freesync "G-Sync compatible" monitor with a 1080 Ti and it seemed to be running very smooth with G-Sync enabled.
but when switching to the newer Alienware with an actual G-Sync chip and comparing them,
the G-Sync display was actually noticeably smoother than the Freesync.
same situation with my LG CX tv.
I was wondering about this one...LG 34GN850-B
regarding the HDR, i would not get anything under HDR 1000.
especially at the price on those models, i would want something better.
the MSI i had with HDR 400 capability looked like crap in a lot of games. many others there was little to no difference with it enabled.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Wow, I honestly didn't think it would be this hard to find a decent monitor, large enough for my crappy eyes.
I would like to stay at the 34 inch range, not much bigger. I like the IPS screens. But so many of them have Freesync.
Wondered about maybe going down to 32 inches, but even using Partpicker it's not really coming up with any matches.

doing a couple quick searches i really don't turn up much.
it seemed there was a much bigger selection when i was searching last year. maybe i was just including G-Sync Compatible in the mix at the time.

still have a link to Nvidia's G-Sync product page that lists certified products. hopefully they've kept it up to date:
Nvidia G-SYNC Monitors.

it appears these days that my Alienware is one of the few that offers good specs with an actual G-Sync chip.
trying to find a link to the Dell reseller that i got it from in case you wanted to check it out, but can't find the emails.
will update if i run across them. was only $649.99 vs the $1189.99 MSRP at the time.

Solution