Question Making a ethernet into wireless

Apr 13, 2019
Ok so I've got a ethernet connection that requires you to log into the network before you can access any type of internet. Is there a way to connect a Wi-Fi router to the ethernet cable and turn it into a wireless connection?

Depends what you mean "log into". If it is some web page that comes up then you likely can just hook the wan port of any router to the port. If it is part of the windows login or the domain login then they are using 802.1x. 802.1x is designed to prevent you from doing what you are attempting.

I forget exactly how you setup 802.1x its been a while since I looked at this. If they are using this you should find setting in the network tabs.

It is pretty easy to test. Hook a router wan port to the port. Hook your pc to the router lan. You will quickly discover if you can get in.

802.1x is a form of mac address locking. They maybe using something else. That is why I asked if it was web based. If you have to open a web page and then key something in that is very different than if the port itself is not passing any data until you authenticate.

Apr 13, 2019
They are not locking Mac addresses... No website login required. Just have to enter your username and password to log into windows and your good. I've tried to just plug a router to a ethernet cable but it says no internet access.

So does the router get a IP address on its wan port.

There are 2 ways this works. You use a server based authentication. In that case the networks is actually up but there is a firewall blocking the traffic. When you log in there are rules put in the firewall to allow your traffic to pass. This method will work with a router because the router is transparent at the application level where the userid is being authenticated.

The other way is 802.1x. In that case the security is at the mac level. You machines talks to the switch/router on the ethernet port. It forwards userid and password via radius to a authentication server. The switch then opens the port. Only after this do you even get a IP address. So when you run 802.1x no traffic at all is allowed to pass out the port. There is no way to get a router to work on 802.1x because it does not support the special message format 802.1x requires.

They are not locking Mac addresses... No website login required. Just have to enter your username and password to log into windows and your good. I've tried to just plug a router to a ethernet cable but it says no internet access.

What kind of setup is this exactly, at work, at school, in your house? Need details about the exact setup. Logging into Windows is just a logon to Windows, should have nothing to do with the internet connection unless you are on some managed connection. And if you are, contact the IT department for this.