Making a home server

nodashi

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Hello,Im dominik and im buying a computer right now to use an a server to host websites and game servers but my question is i have no
idea on how to host and about using software could you guys please tell me the necessary things i need to learn in order to host and if you could send me a link of a tutorial that would be great thanks :D

cbviking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Well if you dont want to pay lots of money for server 2008 or 2003 you can dl a linux server distro for free!

Here's a good site to get ya started: http://www.linuxserverhowto.com/

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
If you are in school, some schools have MSDN supcriptions and can give you an account, and your can get server 2008 for free and use it for as longs as your want. (as long and it isn't used for business use).

With my experience with game servers (very limited) Most of the games have there own server software and you run it under Windows or Linux. They are called dedicated servers. you basically get a console and your can control everything from there. All the commands and setup are different for each game, but they are easy found on google. You want a sever with possessor power and more ram the better for gaming servers.