Question Making a NEW Build need help deciding between Ryzen2300x and 2600 or diff!?

Jun 17, 2019
Hey there folks so after building a non gpu 3200G build and seeing a interesting offering of a 2300x i am deciding between this 2300x for $145AUD (Aus dollars) or the 2600 for $200 but with free "3 month xbox pass" that i couldnt care 1 bit for but would be nice if it's easily sellable.

I realize the 2300x is only being sold in full tower builds and cant find much info on gaming performing differences and i know very little of the technical side of comptuers . the 2300x is $55 cheaper and being my 3rd build in the last 2 weeks i am trying to spend as little since i need a gpu too now. Would greatly appreciate any tips,advice or just straught up opinions.

Is the 2600 really worth the extra $55 for the difference in fps/performacne added by it?

Reactions: DUAL33s

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
The 2600 is an excellent chip for gaming. I own the 2600X and I absolutley love it. There arent many chips out there that offer the same performance at such a good price. And as far as the 2600 vs the 2300x....DEFINITELY go for the 2600. You will be happy you did :)

Reactions: DMAN999

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Hey there folks so after building a non gpu 3200G build and seeing a interesting offering of a 2300x i am deciding between this 2300x for $145AUD (Aus dollars) or the 2600 for $200 but with free "3 month xbox pass" that i couldnt care 1 bit for but would be nice if it's easily sellable.

I realize the 2300x is only being sold in full tower builds and cant find much info on gaming performing differences and i know very little of the technical side of comptuers . the 2300x is $55 cheaper and being my 3rd build in the last 2 weeks i am trying to spend as little since i need a gpu too now. Would greatly appreciate any tips,advice or just straught up opinions.

Is the 2600 really worth the extra $55 for the difference in fps/performacne added by it?
PS the 2600 will be a great chip for years to come due to it having 12 threads. the 2300x will most likely be obsolete withing the next couple years as game developers more towards utilizing more cores/threads. but gaming aside, it is also a better chip for professional and/or normal workloads such as graphic desing, video editing, internet browsing etc. Those ectra threads will help a lot compared to the 2300x

Reactions: DMAN999
Jun 17, 2019
The Ryzen 5 2600 is absolutely worth buying vs the Ryzen 3 2300x.
The 2300x is a 4 core/4 thread OEM CPU and the 2600 is a retail 6 core/12 thread CPU.
Read this comparison to help you decide:
http://hwbench.com/cpus/amd-ryzen-3-2300x-vs-amd-ryzen-5-2600
Hey thanks for the reply i understand the 2600 has those slightly higher differences and can understand and accept that it's likely going to be slightly better or faster performing, however the price difference is $55 and there are no real comparison's i can find online but i am strapped for cash at the moment and while i can afford to pay the difference, if its only a small fps/performance increase then i would be opting for the cheaper and will play a game once in a blue moon.

Jun 17, 2019
PS the 2600 will be a great chip for years to come due to it having 12 threads. the 2300x will most likely be obsolete withing the next couple years as game developers more towards utilizing more cores/threads. but gaming aside, it is also a better chip for professional and/or normal workloads such as graphic desing, video editing, internet browsing etc. Those ectra threads will help a lot compared to the 2300x

Yeah i was just thinking about the value of the performancec difference for the future, ev en in non gaming aspects like light multi tasking and possibly using 2-3 screens over 1.

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Yeah i was just thinking about the value of the performancec difference for the future, ev en in non gaming aspects like light multi tasking and possibly using 2-3 screens over 1.
indeed. 4 cores in 2019 might be decent if it were a 4 core/8 thread CPU perhaps..at least then it would have some multitasking ability.. but even with 8 threads it still wouldn't be better than the 2600 at most common tasks especially heavy workloads..

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Hey thanks for the reply i understand the 2600 has those slightly higher differences and can understand and accept that it's likely going to be slightly better or faster performing, however the price difference is $55 and there are no real comparison's i can find online but i am strapped for cash at the moment and while i can afford to pay the difference, if its only a small fps/performance increase then i would be opting for the cheaper and will play a game once in a blue moon.
Well at the end of the day, only you truly know how you intend to use your new processor. And if you play games that are not very dependent on high FPS and you don't mind turning the graphics settings down, then maybe the 2300x will work well for you. But in my opinion, I would 100% spend the extra $50 now and go for a chip that will perform well for years to come, than save $50 and end up having to upgrade again within the next year or so.

And when you say there would only be a minor boost in FPS i tend to disagree...the Ryzen 2600 will greatly outperform the 2300x on most games and applications. Not only is the 2600 capable of pushing out more FPS than the 2300x, but it also has much more L1 and L2 chache and DOUBLE the amount of L3 Cache (16mb vs. 8mb). Therefore, the chip is able to process information much more quickly and will help a lot as far as input lag, frame drops, frame stuttering etc. At the end of the day, I can gurantee the difference in performance will be very noticeable. And don't let the "max boost" stats fool you. Even though the 2600 technically only boosts up to 3.9ghz, those 8 extra threads make it much faster at processing information. It's not all about ghz :) Yes the 2300x claims to have a max boost of 4ghz...but at 4ghz, it is still a lot slower than the 2600 (again, due to only having 4 cores and no multi-threading).

It's up to you whether you think the boost in performance is worth the extra money...but in my opinion there is no other processor on the market that packs as much 'bang for the buck' as the 2600. As far as the 2300x, I have a feeling you may be disapponted once you install it and see how it performs...but witht he 2600, I can almost gurantee you will be amazed at just how fast it is for at only $130. And plus you also get a CPU cooler when you purchase it. The 2300x doesnt come with any cooler as far as I'm aware. Either way..good luck making your decision...just be sure to do some research and know exactly what you want before you make your final decision. But that extra $50 now will definitely safe you money in the long run, as I feel the 2300x (and ALL 4core/4thread chips) will be obsolete in the very near future.

Jun 17, 2019
Well at the end of the day, only you truly know how you intend to use your new processor. And if you play games that are not very dependent on high FPS and you dont mind turning the graphics settings down, than maybe the 2300x will work well for you. But in my opinion, I would 100% spend the extra $50 now and go for a chip that will perform well for years to come, than save $50 and end up having to upgrade again within the next year or so. And when you say there would only be a minor boost in FPS i tend to disagree...the Ryzen 2600 will greatly outperform the 2300x on most games and applications. Not only is the 2600 capable of pushing out more FPS than the 2300x, but it also has much more L1 and L2 chache and DOUBLE the amount of L3 Cache (16mb vs. 8mb). Therefore, the chip is able to process information much more quickly and will help a lot as far as input lag, frame drops, frame stuttering etc. At the end of the day, I can gurantee the difference in performance will be very noticeable. And don't let the "max boost" stats fool you. Even though the 2600 technically only boosts up to 3.9ghz, those 8 extra threads make it much faster at processing information. It's not all about ghz :) Yes the 2300x claims to have a max boost of 4ghz...but at 4ghz, it is still a lot slower than the 2600 (again, due to only having 4 cores and no m

It's up to you whether you think the boost in performance is worth the extra money...but in my opinion there is no other processor on the market that packs as much 'bang for the buck' as the 2600. As far as the 2300x, I have a feeling you may be disapponted once you install it and see how it performs...but witht he 2600, I can almost gurantee you will be amazed at just how fast it is for a $130. And plus you also get a CPU cooler when you purchase it. The 2300x doesnt come with any cooler as far as I'm aware. Either way..good luck making your decision...just be sure to do some research and know exactly what you want before you make your final decision. But that extra $50 now will definitely safe you money in the long run, as I feel the 2300x (and ALL 4core/4thread chips) will be obsolete in the very near future.

Yeah after seeing both of you who replied agree so strongly on the 2600 im deciding to get it for sure, i overplayed the importance of that $50 extra because i got missled by a power seller on ebay and told i could bios update my 3200g out of the box despite purchasing a noojn flash back b450 motherboard and was planning for 1 no gpu build, but with a promotion on ebay currently offering us people in aus the best prices we in australia will see for these products at least for a long time. And after buying the replacement cpu i am now here i am on the final build which will no longer be a el cheapo no gpu build, and so now that ive been well convinced by the replies to which i wil say thanks to as i might of actually likely regretted it and ended up grading it knowing my self haha. I need to cap off the build with a low/mid tier ranged gpu any suggestions anyonee?

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Yeah after seeing both of you who replied agree so strongly on the 2600 im deciding to get it for sure, i overplayed the importance of that $50 extra because i got missled by a power seller on ebay and told i could bios update my 3200g out of the box despite purchasing a noojn flash back b450 motherboard and was planning for 1 no gpu build, but with a promotion on ebay currently offering us people in aus the best prices we in australia will see for these products at least for a long time. And after buying the replacement cpu i am now here i am on the final build which will no longer be a el cheapo no gpu build, and so now that ive been well convinced by the replies to which i wil say thanks to as i might of actually likely regretted it and ended up grading it knowing my self haha. I need to cap off the build with a low/mid tier ranged gpu any suggestions anyonee?
Sorry to hear that man...but yeah I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk myself and I run a Ryzen 2600x on it and it runs beautifully. And as far as a GPU, how mauch would you be willing to spend? Are we talking like 150$ or like 200 - $250?

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Yeah after seeing both of you who replied agree so strongly on the 2600 im deciding to get it for sure, i overplayed the importance of that $50 extra because i got missled by a power seller on ebay and told i could bios update my 3200g out of the box despite purchasing a noojn flash back b450 motherboard and was planning for 1 no gpu build, but with a promotion on ebay currently offering us people in aus the best prices we in australia will see for these products at least for a long time. And after buying the replacement cpu i am now here i am on the final build which will no longer be a el cheapo no gpu build, and so now that ive been well convinced by the replies to which i wil say thanks to as i might of actually likely regretted it and ended up grading it knowing my self haha. I need to cap off the build with a low/mid tier ranged gpu any suggestions anyone?
Oh and you're welcome man! Glad to help you! I am almost certain that you wouldve regretted buying that 2300x over the 2600...like I said, the performance boost will absolutely be noticeable bewtween these 2 CPU's..especially when gaming or multitasking. the 2300x is a decent little chip for low-end, bottom of the bucket entry level PC's.. but I have a feeling you'd rather spend a couple more dollars in order to enjoy a HUGE boost in performance. I think you defintely made the right decision going with the 2600..and as far as a GPU there is an MSI Radeon RX 570 over on Amazon for only $160 US..thats a hell of a deal in my opinion. You get a 256bit bus PLUS 8GB of GDDR5 video memory...definitely another great 'bang for the buck' product from AMD. The best advice i could give as far as buying a GPU in this current market, isto STAY AWAY from nVidia at all cost..at least for now. They've been really gouging the market and releasing overpriced cards for the past few years. You will get much better price-to-performance by going with an AMD card..at least until nVidia stops being so greedy

In my opinion, yes, it's worth it...

The extra cores and threads will make the system last at least a few years, as 4 cores/8 threads is already taxed quite a bit in many Windows games...

6 cores/12 threads (or 8 full cores like the 9700K) is new sensible starting point for gaming...

(Naturally, the 3rd gen Ryzen 5-3600 at $200 US is the best starting point as far as performance per dollar spent with some longevity today.)

Jun 17, 2019
In my opinion, yes, it's worth it...

The extra cores and threads will make the system last at least a few years, as 4 cores/8 threads is already taxed quite a bit in many Windows games...

6 cores/12 threads (or 8 full cores like the 9700K) is new sensible starting point for gaming...

(Naturally, the 3rd gen Ryzen 5-3600 at $200 US is the best starting point as far as performance per dollar spent with some longevity today.)

Yeah haha and after searching some more it seems i can now get the 2600 for $165 which makes it only $25 more then then the 2300x im already sold! :D

Jun 17, 2019
Yeah and as i mentioned in previous post to the 3rd replying memeber i digged around for 10 mins and found a ryzen 2600 new and sealed with free postage for $165, theres no way i would of kept the 2300x if i saw the 2600 for $165 aud posted. The cheapest i could get it prior to this find was $190 at the store i was going to go pick it up and which is the only real advantage for the 2300x but f that for only $25 more!

there is an MSI Radeon RX 570 over on Amazon for only $160 US..thats a hell of a deal in my opinion.

Wow the 570 8gb's are still that expensive? I saw rx 580's sell for as low as $150 and/or even lower! I myself bought one for the build i had intended on last year that never happened for roughly $160 tho i do recall selling it for around $190-200 very easily shortly after. Guessing the 570's 580's havent depreciated too uch in price? Might check them out a 570 4gb would be more then enough but really appreciate your replies/feedback's! That includes the other 2-3 members who replied thanks all!

*still looking for a low to mid tier gpu to finalize my build! Any suggestions apperciated cheers.