[SOLVED] Making a poweful gaming PC: Quiet, cool and futureproof

Dec 10, 2019
Hi all

I am going to invest in an expensive gaming PC this time, and I will prioritize it being cool and silent, but that's mostly connected to the fact that I don't want the PC to produce much heat. After having a bad experience with a gaming laptop, where the constant aggressive fans was driving my dry eyes nuts, I am going to go for safe (but still powerful), Do note that when i mean ''silent'' I mean it not having aggressive fans, not that it's not going to make noise at all (else I woldn't have picked a HDD). Little annoying noise is a bonus though. The heat coming from the PC is basically the ''ends'' that the means is going to justify here. However, I might be willing to make certain smaller concessions to make sure it's as futureproof as possible as well, but that's second priority as I'm also willing to downgrade if it's going to be a problem with heat (as I suspect it might be with the GPU). Price isn't that much of an issue, but I have already excluded going for an 2080 Ti even if it would be possible heat-wise (which I think it won't) or 64 GB RAM as they are way too expensive in my country. I'm also not that bothered by having a slower SSD, but feel free to judge my budget choice there if you wish :)

My build so far:
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Black
PSU: Corsair RM1000i, 1000W PSU (has zero RPM mode)
(alternatively a 1200W+ maybe, want your thoughts on that as I hear the PSU is very important to avoid excess heat)
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler (has zero RPM mode)
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER ROG Strix OC (has zero RPM mode) (might also downgrade to 2070 in case the power draw from the 2080 is going to be a problem)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 32GB
SSD: Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB 3.5'' HDD
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F GAMING, S-1151

Some basic wireless network card like Svive Gaming Verga

Any recommendations, including whether this build is even possible compability-wise (I'm a relative noob in this area) is greatly appreciated :)

Solution
If you build it in PC partpicker it'll do basic checks for you.
Consider the fractal mesh cases, much cleaner airflow (but no damping on the panels). Just built with one and my laptop is louder.
The statement about excess heat and the PSU is shaky, I'd be happy with a good 750
Jul 19, 2018
Ideally, you wouldn't need that much power, but it wouldn't hurt you to have that much. A 750w PSU should be fine, but i would recommend going with an 850w

Also, for your fans (if the case doesnt come with them already, you should get Corsair ML140's. They are quiet and powerful due to Magnetic Bearings

Reactions: GeneralJet
Consider the fractal mesh cases, much cleaner airflow (but no damping on the panels). Just built with one and my laptop is louder.
The statement about excess heat and the PSU is shaky, I'd be happy with a good 750

Reactions: GeneralJet
Solution
Dec 10, 2019

Thanks for informing me about the PC Partpicker. Very nice site.
I might have misspoke about the PSU. What I meant was that the my PC will use about 400-500W (depending on what GPU I will go for), and with a 1000W PSU the PSU will not need to be active that much as it apparently doesn't kick in before a certain threshold has been reached (50% I think), and is at zero rpm normally. This will mean that it won't produce that much heat or noise even under most gaming as I understand it. Or is this completely wrong? It might be...

Dec 10, 2019
Ideally, you wouldn't need that much power, but it wouldn't hurt you to have that much. A 750w PSU should be fine, but i would recommend going with an 850w

Also, for your fans (if the case doesnt come with them already, you should get Corsair ML140's. They are quiet and powerful due to Magnetic Bearings

I should have answered you both at the same time, but see comment above for the PSU.
It comes with three Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 140mm fans. They are apparently silent and made for 'optimised airflow''. According to dvtests.com:
''GP12 is made to operate at maximum 1200 revolutions per minute, delivering airflow level of 52.3 CFM, static pressure level of 0.88 mm H2O at noise level of 19.4dBA. ''

This sounds good to me, but I'm no expert.