[SOLVED] Making a very simple, tiny and cheap GPS

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018
I was thinking what hardware / software would be needed to make a simple "computer" that will run a very simple map with basic functions like zoom in, zoom out, location, destination.... the map would be low resolution and the whole thing should be in like gps/mobile form factor. the main bummer is the price. i would like to have many units and they need to be cheap and simple. my only idea was raspberry zero but considering it is about 10$, + accesories it will be too expensive for the job and it will be overkill in terms of what it can do and what it will be used for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
$10 for the processor hardware is probably about right.
Then add the touch screen
Then add the case and the windshield mount
Then add the battery and charging subsystem
Then add the software cost
Then add access to the maps
Then add the server architecture to deliver map updates to your customers

This is your competition:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Navigation-Lifetime-Updates-Navigator/dp/B07SMNFC28
$55, free lifetime map updates, touch screen...

USAFRet

Titan

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Navigation-Lifetime-Updates-Navigator/dp/B07SMNFC28

Solution

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

Your $10 CPU cost seems pretty reasonable when you consider you are competing with $100 devices (mapping capable stand alone GPS units). I would think the cost of the map data would be much worse on a per unit basis.

Yea but im approaching about 25-30$ just to make it, which is messing my whole idea. i tough maybe you know something simlar to the raspberry zero but with lower sepcs and cost. like the whole thing is about it being cheap, it doesnt even have to be a touch screen. 5 buttons would do the job.

USAFRet

Titan
Yea but im approaching about 25-30$ just to make it, which is messing my whole idea. i tough maybe you know something simlar to the raspberry zero but with lower sepcs and cost. like the whole thing is about it being cheap, it doesnt even have to be a touch screen. 5 buttons would do the job.
Buy a couple of the inexpensive ones, different brands.
Disassemble and see what they use.

If you can order 10,000 units, you can probably get the PCB/CPU down to $1-$2 per unit.
But then you still have all the other costs to include.

Reactions: j3ster

If you have an idea, there are probably 20 people in China already building it with factory support and volume costs. If anything a product may have a better chance of success if you make a gold plated GPS and market it with Supreme or something silly and high end than if you try to make something cheap, because there is pretty much 0 chance of just a random person being able to out-sell a large company on costs.