Making Bootable USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
Just built a X99 system, now I need to install Windows 10 and I don't have a optical drive but the copy of Windows 10 I bought is on a disc, so I need help making a bootable Windows 10 USB. The USB is empty and formatted as a NTFS.

Solution
No don't use Rufus just to format it. Use Rufus to actually create it too. That is what I did. You check the box that says Create Bootable USB with and then select the ISO file.

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
It says to install the tool for the system your currently using and that would be 32-bit.

When I install the 32-bit my computer tells me to reboot and never works.
When I try the 64-bit it works fine until it gives me the list of usb drives connected, the usb never comes up no matter what (format it differently).

Then if I use the harder way with cmd everything works fine until the bootsect.exe/nt60 f: command.

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
What if I connect a portable usb optical drive thing and install, will the bios recognize it as a bootable usb and will it work right?

-Trying your methd right now. (This method failed as of update 2)

UPDATE: Oh I already had the second thing in my comp...

UPDATE 2: When I select the Windows 10 ISO it says that its not a valid ISO.

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
I contacted MS support I was treated with extreme disrespect considering the fact that hes a support representative whose paid to help me. This guy couldn't even speak English correctly and he was extremely retarded. His grammar and spelling was all over the place. I wish I screenshot-ted the support chat, he finally at the end of the chat sent me a link (which I thought was to help me) but then it was to "force-end" the chat if I clicked and he sent me a message right after saying "godd" (couldn't even spell god right). The last time I had such rude customer support was with Steam when the support representative refused to help, saying that some game items (he only returned half after I was phished) that were stolen were not his problem, but the exchange I had with this Microsoft rep for this problem was just far above this. I've got to tell you, compared to how calm and on point I was with this guy, he really needed to cool the f*ck down. I know this is kind of a rant but compared to how rude this guy was I'm willing to contact MS for this guy. I know my temper is really high right now but I may contact MS later (I cooled down as I typed this).

GoldKingCobra,

I can't understand why you're having such a problem creating the bootable USB. Not sure what's going. It always worked for me and everyone else I helped with this.

Are you on another Windows desktop posting on here? If so, does it have an optical drive you could temporarily borrow and hook up to your newly built X99 system and install Windows 10 that way? Either that or go buy yourself one to use. They're pretty cheap these days.

I sure hope you get this worked out. If you do, please let us know.

Best of luck, bud.

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
I know this is basic, but be sure you are using a usb 2.0 port. if you have an oem copy of windows 10, and have not added 3.0 drivers via dism. there is a possibility you can experience issues on the first reboot while installing. (this is assuming the flash drive is a 3.0 drive)

you can also go into an elevated cmd prompt, type
diskpart
list disk
select disk (# of the flash drive)
clean
create par pri
active
format fs=fat32 quick
exit

That will get the flash drive fully slicked. might help.

you are saying upon using the media creation tool, when you select (create media to install on another computer) then (home) and x64, theres no choice of flash drives to choose from? or after creation it wont boot..

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
-The USB is currently formatted as a NTFS in diskpart.
-The USB is a 2.0.
-I would've taken out the optical drive from my older Windows 7 system but it's a All-In-One.
-The media creation tool doesn't detect my USB, I know I'm not the only one having this problem...

So I'm thinking of getting rid of the whole hassle and buy a portable USB optical drive.

Like this: http://tinyurl.com/q5cyzjx

Would I be able to boot through something like that?

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015

I've tried Rufus, the USB gets formatted but the Windows media creation tool doesn't detect it. I've contacted MS and I got the WORST customer support ever, the representative barely knew English and was extremely rude (you can read my rant above). So I finally decided just to get a portable optical drive, I'll might as well close this thread... :|

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015

Ok lemme see...

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
IT WORKED! My computer is fully functional now running windows 10, my computer boots in about 5-10 seconds and it only took 10 minutes to format, then 10 minutes to install! Rufus worked and is much better then that garbage media creation tool! Thank you all for helping me :). I bought a $60 LG portable optical drive later finding out that his method doesn't work, but I'll still keep the drive since I have no 5.25" bays on my H440. After finding out that the external optical drive method didn't work, I decided to open the old Windows 7 AMD based All In One only to find out that the optical drive inside that was some custom made one to only work for that computer, so finally then I'm like forget this bs, so I tried the Rufus method and it worked like a charm, under 20 minutes I was up and running Windows 10. So once again thank you all for helping throughout, I really appreciate it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.