Making/Buying a computer need help

Jakelane

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Im very new to pc gaming, so I don't know exactly what I should do. I have 2 choices, one of which may not work. I can either buy a regular computer and upgrade the bad graphics card to a Radeon HD 7770. Will this work? Or, what do you think of this computer? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ifVv
Anything I can do to reduce the price to under $600? Thank you.

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
Well, you only need one CPU cooler. You could change the CPU to a Phenom II x4 965 BE because you might be bottlenecking your GPU with that CPU.

I don't really recommend even attempting to build a gaming PC for under 600 dollars. Your best bet would be to just save a bit more. A gaming rig under 600 dollars can only be achieved by cutting too many corners. I honestly don't think that you'd be happy with the performance that you get from it.

And buying a "regular" computer isn't a good idea for a few reasons. First, they aren't really built to upgrade that much. Most come with a motherboard that is the cheapest that the manufacturer can get, and nearly every component slot on it is already filled by something. I strongly support the idea that the only way to get a REAL gaming computer for less than 2,000 dollars is to build it yourself. You achieve getting everything that you want without paying for things that you don't want and/or need.

If you would like help designing a computer, even if you can't afford it right now, I'll be happy to help. We can save the design and you can just buy parts as you can afford them. This is how I built my current rig, and I absolutely LOVE IT!

Jakelane

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

You know, id absolutely love that, BUT, it would take a very long time to save anywhere close to $2000. The computer is kind of a computer that I would want soon, as I have already been waiting for a year or so.

Perhaps you can have your cake and eat it too! :) Go with the upgrade, but have a design on the back burner. It took nearly 6 months to put my rig together. I started just after Christmas 2012. I knew that the Haswell line would be coming out in June, so I planned my rig around Haswell architecture. By the June 02, 2013 release date, I ad everything but the CPU/Motherboard. And on June 02, I was able to order them with the money that I had set aside for it. Talking about a kid in a candy store! LOL The wait made it all the sweeter.