[SOLVED] Making CAT5E Network/ Ethernet Cables

voyager1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
A while back, I picked up an 8 camera, 16 channel security system for surveillance coverage of our one acre lot.
Getting lazy, I stopped after installing the first 4 cams around the exterior of the house.
That has turned out to be insufficient to cover most intrusions being made onto our property.
From the lot's size and the locations: these intrusions were purposely made, not accidental.
They were registered by motion detectors: a solar powered night light, and one that rings a bell in the house.
I'm about to continue the job by putting in the next 3 cams.

I'm now running into a problem.
I'm having to make up 75' to 150' network cables for each of these cams.
I made up the network cables for the 1st 4 cams, no problems.
The cams have been functional for over a year.

I'm beginning to make up Cat5e cables for the next 3 cams, and am now having problems.
My first reaction is that I am at faul by making mistakes in their construction.

I'm using the EIA-568A wiring method, crimping male connectors onto each end of the cables.
I seem to have misplaced the original crimping tool and have replaced it with another.
I use a Cable Tester to verify each cable.

In the first 4 cables all 8 wires are functional and still check out with the tester.
In the new cables, wire #6 is not working per the tester, even after 3 attempts.
In looking around, I find people saying that is how they should be.
They are wrong.
All 8 wires have to be hot for the cams to work.
Checking the older cables verifies that.

I've cut the ends off, thrown everything down in disgust, and will start all over again tomorrow.
Any thoughts or suggestions in getting these new cables made to work right?

Solution
A while back, I picked up an 8 camera, 16 channel security system for surveillance coverage of our one acre lot.
Getting lazy, I stopped after installing the first 4 cams around the exterior of the house.
That has turned out to be insufficient to cover most intrusions being made onto our property.
From the lot's size and the locations: these intrusions were purposely made, not accidental.
They were registered by motion detectors: a solar powered night light, and one that rings a bell in the house.

The...

kanewolf

Titan

The cams have been functional for over a year.

I'm beginning to make up Cat5e cables for the next 3 cams, and am now having problems.
My first reaction is that I am at faul by making mistakes in their construction.

I'm using the EIA-568A wiring method, crimping male connectors onto each end of the cables.
I seem to have misplaced the original crimping tool and have replaced it with another.
I use a Cable Tester to verify each cable.

In the first 4 cables all 8 wires are functional and still check out with the tester.
In the new cables, wire #6 is not working per the tester, even after 3 attempts.
In looking around, I find people saying that is how they should be.
They are wrong.
All 8 wires have to be hot for the cams to work.
Checking the older cables verifies that.

I've cut the ends off, thrown everything down in disgust, and will start all over again tomorrow.
Any thoughts or suggestions in getting these new cables made to work right?
The 568B color code is the preferred choice, but as long as both ends are the same it shouldn't matter.
Terminating cat5 is an art. EVERYBODY fails. But if you have a bad #6, you just cut both ends and start over unless you can visually see the missing #6 on one end.
Some people like the "feed through" RJ45s and matching crimper. It allows them to visually verify the order and protrusion of the cable.
It is possible if you bought a cheap crimper that it is just not crimping #6.

Solution

voyager1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for your input kanewolf.
I am up and running on the cam install.

I found the old crimper and made up the next cable.
It works.
I still have to hang it along the house back to the NVR and PC.
BUT, IT WORKS!!

I think the problem is that the newer crimper has shorter handles and doesn't crimp as hard as easily.
Yeah, I know, I'm getting old and lazy.

Now I'll make the 6th cable, and install the 6th cam.

Then, I'll make the 7th cable, and install it.
That's the toughest one, furthest out the driveway and up a palm tree, covering driveway entry activity.
It is the toughest one with install decisions still to be made.

I bought an extra cam that has inbuilt security lighting just for the outer end of the driveway.
Lighting does deter incursions and makes ID much better, if needed.
We're on a clearing with jungle covering a-a lava on 3 sides.
The only entry to the house and yard is by the driveway.

My 1st video surveillance install was a cheap one.
After a cam failure, I got a better one with a couple of extra cams, in case I need them.
Trying to get on the property through the jungle is too much work and dangerous, all but impossible in the dark.

The 568B color code is the preferred choice, but as long as both ends are the same it shouldn't matter.
Haven't tested myself, but if messing up with pairs (i.e. exchange wire 1 and 3) on a long cat5 cable, I think that will have a negative impact on noise, and possible also for maximum length and transfer rate.

So switching pairs shouldn't matter. Using a known standard is the best practice anyways.