[SOLVED] Making ISP prove the coax/speeds coming into my house are legit?

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Long story short paying for speeds of 100 down, getting between 2-5down Spectrum is stating my coaxial cables are old/weak they can't do anything I need to replace all the coax in my walls. Home was built in 1996. So while ~23 years old.. I find this hard to believe.

I'm having a tech come out in the near future and I want them to prove/show me the "strength" or "signal quality" (or w/e the lingo is) of the coax coming into the home if that makes sense. Last time they were out I was shown a foreign looking little machine that I had no idea how to read "see your coax is a 7 it should be at a 9" etc.
Please guide me with exactly what i should be looking for/the right questions to ask etc.

Solution
Depending on you dwelling situation, either run a long coax into your place, or take the modem + your laptop + long extension power cord to the outside and hook up directly bypassing your in-house.

Now I assume u tested more than 1 client, a known to be good machine etc, 'cuz lots of speed problem has to do with wrong W10 driver, old NIC not supported by W10, and u can quickly verify this by GOING WIFI, if WIFI is faster than your ethernet then most likely a LAN/driver problem.

kanewolf

Titan
Spectrum is responsible to the outside of your house. You should be able to access your modem status pages to see signal strength. Attempt to connect to 192.168.100.1 you may see your modem status. Signal strength and signal to noise ratings are visible. You should have +5db to -5db for all the modem's downlink channels.

You can test their theory by connecting a new RG6 coax to the splitter or ground block on the outside of your house. Connect that to your modem and re-check the signal values.

Depending on you dwelling situation, either run a long coax into your place, or take the modem + your laptop + long extension power cord to the outside and hook up directly bypassing your in-house.

Now I assume u tested more than 1 client, a known to be good machine etc, 'cuz lots of speed problem has to do with wrong W10 driver, old NIC not supported by W10, and u can quickly verify this by GOING WIFI, if WIFI is faster than your ethernet then most likely a LAN/driver problem.

Last edited:
Solution