making low res look sharper?

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I play games like team fortress 2 and csgo.i usally have my res set low to 1152x864 at stretched 4.3 just because it makes me aim better however id also appreciate if it wasn't so dam blurry.

so I was wondering is it possible for low resolution to look sharper?is there any possible way to make a low res like 1152x864 look as sharp as 1080? or even 1440p without having to rely on msaa or aa?

Solution
You can never make 1152x864 look as sharp as 1080p without breaking the laws of physics.

Less pixels means less detail.

No exceptions.

The blurriness is a direct result of lack of pixels.

The above only makes the lower resolution look slightly better, but its still displayed at the resolution you choose to begin with.
Technically there is something like that called Dynamic Super Resolution that renders the picture at a higher resolution that you can display but then downsamples the resolution to fit your screen.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/dynamic-super-resolution-instantly-improves-your-games-with-4k-quality-graphics

The only issue is that you don't you get your quality for free.

If I render my game in 4k then downscale to 1080p its the same as rendering 4k to begin with, with the accompanying fps hit.

You can try using anisotropic filter 8x, but it won't do miracles with 1152x864 stretched to 1080p.

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
my monitor is a 1440p 27 inch but I'm actually want it to fit into 1152x864 which is the resolution that I play in game if that sort of makes sense.i want to try and make 1152x864 sharper to the quality of 1080p or 1440p.

so In my situation is it possible to make the res I play ingame sharper with dsr?

btw fps wouldn't be a problem with me.i have the hardware to handle it

If you have the hardware sure.

I'm only familiar with the Nvidia way though.

Goto the Nvidia Control panel.

Then select "Manage 3d Settings"

Find the DSR - Factors and set it do 4x.

Find the DSR-Smoothness and set it to 33%.

Either of the above can be set to your liking.

You need a 700 series card or higher.

You can never make 1152x864 look as sharp as 1080p without breaking the laws of physics.

Less pixels means less detail.

No exceptions.

The blurriness is a direct result of lack of pixels.

The above only makes the lower resolution look slightly better, but its still displayed at the resolution you choose to begin with.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS