Making my own Front Audio connector/pinout question

vipe155

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out some things while making my own Front Audio panel for a custom case and desk I've made. Basically, I want to connect a couple of 5 pin audio jacks to the front audio connector on my MB.

I'm using an old HD Audio cable from an old case, and using that to connect the MB to the jacks.

The pinout for HD audio goes like this:

PORT 1L
  Analog Port 1 - Left channel (Microphone) 
  GND
  Ground
  PORT 1R
  Analog Port 1 - Right channel (Microphone) 
  PRESENCE# 
  Active low signal that signals BIOS that an Intel® HD Audio dongle is connected to the analog header. PRESENCE# = 0 when an Intel® HD Audio dongle is connected. 
  PORT 2R
  Analog Port 2 - Right channel (Headphone) 
  SENSE1_RETURN
  Jack detection return for front panel (JACK1) 
  SENSE_SEND 
  Jack detection sense line from the Intel® HD Audio CODEC jack detection resistor network 
  KEY
  No pin
  PORT 2L
  Analog Port 2 - Left channel (Headphone) 
  SENSE2_RETURN
  Jack detection return for front panel (JACK2) 

The LR channel pins, ground, etc. are easy enough. What I'm hung up on is pin 4 & 7. 7 has to go with pin 6 and 10 to allow for jack detection. I can get that to work by jumpering those pins together, but is that what a typical case audio board is doing? If not, what are they doing with pin 7? Also, what is pin 4 supposed to go to? I saw a couple of things online suggesting that maybe it can be jumpered to ground, but I'm not sure about that.

Solution
Those female plugs have a switch which opens when a jack is inserted. Only HD audio has that, AC97 standard doesn't so those are left not connected. You can do that too if you don't need sensing, just don't connect 4,7 and 10.