[SOLVED] Making my Spaghetti Network Better

Oct 2, 2019
Replacing my Spaghetti Network.
I have a homemade network that has Worked "OK ? " with my 2 Win 7 computers for the last 5 years.
I'm moving up to 2 win 10 computers and its time to update the network as well.

I have a 40mb century link DSL line ( so I get 18 - 23mb at main desktop ). We've been promised 100mb line in the next couple of months for the last year
and a half.

Heres my current Lan Layout:
The DSL Line comes in to Zyxel C3000Z ( 192.168.0.1 ) Modem thats Ethernet cabled to main house computer ( 192.168.0.2 ).
From the Zyxel C3000Z Modem I run an ethernet cable 40ft to a Garage Window where it connects to a Belkin pre-n router ( 192.168.0.22 ) set as Access Point. The House gets its wireless signal from this Belkin because I like the mac address protection it offers. The Belkin Signal shoots through the garage window, across yard, 120 feet to my Shop window where a D-link 800 Converted to 810+ ( 192.168.0.30 ) grabs the signal. The D-Link ( b )is Cabled to a Netgear MR814v2 Router ( 192.168.0.214 ) that Provides ethernet connection to the shop desktop and wireless signal to the shop.

I made it work by Trial and ERROR and ERROR and ERROR and LUCK.

The connection in the shop is Slow at best with Periods of Incredibly slow some days. The D Link and Netgear MR814v2 are 802.11b. A bottleneck ?

I've thought about laying an Ethernet cable but it has to go across 2 driveways and tree root filled yard. Overhead is not an option.

MY PLAN ? :
I'm thinking I would activate the Wireless feature on the Zyxel C3000Z to supply wireless connections to the house.
I would Leave the Belkin Pre-N in the House Garage Window shooting to the shop.
I have a Zyxel PK5000Z ( N ) router that I could place in the shop window to replace the D-Link and Netgear with to receive the signal from the Belkin and broadcast wireless to shop and Ethernet to the shop desk.

Can I use the Garage and Shop window routers that way ?

Thanks for Reading !
Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Solution
The router must have a client-bridge or repeater function. A routers function generally is to provide the signal to other devices not receive the signal. It all depends if it has that feature.

You could buy a pair of ubiquiti nano loco outdoor bridges for about $100 total and you should easily get your full network speed in the remote location. You would still need the other zyxel router to act as a AP inside the second building.
The router must have a client-bridge or repeater function. A routers function generally is to provide the signal to other devices not receive the signal. It all depends if it has that feature.

You could buy a pair of ubiquiti nano loco outdoor bridges for about $100 total and you should easily get your full network speed in the remote location. You would still need the other zyxel router to act as a AP inside the second building.

Solution
Oct 2, 2019
Thank you - I had assumed that wireless routers sent and received signal since I can send wireless email or camera photos to another thru it.

Wow that looks like a powerful unit - range 3 Miles ? I just need 120 feet. People in the next town over would see my network.

A quick look at ebay shows 2.4 or 5 ghz units. I need to chart my devices and see what I need.

I will do some reading in the morning - coming up on 3 AM Here

Thanks Again -

Although you might be able to just run one of these connecting to your router in the window I would use 2. Unless cost is a huge factor having 2 will almost guarantee great results. Especially at the short distance you have.

The frequency used is only between the 2 units. It does not matter what radio channels you use on the devices you connect to it. To your equipment this connection appears to be ethernet. You can pretend the ethernet cable runs all way across rather than connecting to the units on the sides of the building.

I would use the 5g units. They use 802.11ac which means more speed. They say 450mbps but I doubt you get anywhere near that much.

Make sure you are looking at the newer models that have "AC" in the name. The list price on both the newer and older models is $49 so you might as well get the newer ones.

Oct 2, 2019
Found them on the Ubiquity website -- used chat to ask couple questions.

They do not approve of inside garage window to inside shop window planned location of the devices.
My old network with the junk is of course inside. With just 125 foot range and direct line of sight - I'm thinking its worth a try before drilling holes and passing Ethernet thru walls to Outside.

Going to place order for the NanoStation 5AC locos.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.