antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
well i pretty much have all the supplies for making a new computer
but i was wondering, once everything is set up, wat do you do after turning it on? do you go to bios or something?
i bought a new hard drive so would i have to pop in the cd and install the os then install the mobo software after?

Elvira

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
maybe by now you've tried putting your stuff together but if not,,,when you put your system together, including a monitor, and turn it on, you will get a screen that checks if everything is working. The start up screen will end with a message that gives you the option to enter bios or continue. If you choose to just continue, it should then check to see what you have in the CD drive, floppy, or the hard drives for starting up. So, ya, pop in the os CD and it will just start to install. If you aren't doing a RAID setup for the hard drives or any changes it should just go from there. If there are problems, and you cant get the installation to start up or whatever then you need to post a new question and include a list of all your system components. Let us know how it goes.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I usually go into the BIOS first - the time is always wrong, so I set that. Verify it shows all the drives correctly, verify the default voltages are correct(had an asus NF2 that defaulted the CPU to an .25 overvolt, ever since I check to see if it's in spec), etc. Not totally necessary, but a good idea.

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
so once i turn it on i should go bios, once in bios should i put in the cd then continue? also just to make sure, cd drives dont need any installation to be used right?