Making the chassis cooler

Mustko

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Just bought Asus HD4830 and Xigmatek S1283 cooler for the CPU. When watching some videos (res. 720 x 480 or something if it makes a difference) the GPU temperature is 60 C or more. And the processor in 100 % stress goes about 58 C. IMO these were too high so I opened the side panel of the chassis. The temperatures dropped substantially. I can't remember exactly but something like 51 and 50 respectively. I concluded that my chassis needed some ventilation. There are no fans at the moment, the PUS's fan and airholes for a 80 mm fan in the back panel do the chassis cooling.

How can I make the chassis a better place for the components to live? I was thinking drilling holes to the side panel, next to the graphics card. More holes to the back panel. The CPU cooler blows towards the back panel. And on top of the chassis next to the PSU I was planning to make a hole for 120 mm fan and put NF-S12-1200 there to blow the air out. How does this sound? You must have better ideas. Please tell them. The chassis looks about like this, it's quite high. The looks doesn't matter if it works and is silent.

Thanks
Mustko

60 C for GPU is not bad. And a CPU reaching 58 C at 100% load is actually pretty good.

If the temps drop to around 50 C. with side panel off, you do have a cooling problem. You are not moving enough air through the case.

You should have a place for a fan somewhere near the bottom of the front panel. And add an 80 mm fan to the back panel.

Basic rule is pull cool air in from the bottom of the front and exhaust warm air out back up high.

Add the fans before you try drilling holes. If the temps still aren't better, then add the hole for the 12 cm fan.

Or simply buy a case with better cooling. There's quite a few options around $50 - $60.

Mustko

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
There isn't a place for a fan in the front panel. And is it wice to buy a 80 mm fan when the most fan slots in cases nowadays seem to be for 120 mm fans? Because most likely I will buy a new chassis some day. However now I want to modify my old one.

Wouldn't it make the air move if I drilled holes near the bottom and inserted a fan to the top? Or is it best to suck from the front and blow away from the back?

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
classic question. The original atx standard before it was hacked like a 3 main boxer into 5...(sorry for bizarre comparison) had reverse cooling. to this day, I use reverse cooling after taking my time with an all aluminum duct thin enough to cut with strong scissors, strong enough to take rivets. The case fan is now the cpu, northbridge, and case, and even takes a load off the psu...aftermarket heatsink of choice.

Just a suggestion. (Your prbolem is over a decade old BTW)On a more formal note, My pc customed is documented at another forum, and the thread is 3 years old like my hot prescott HT, with 20k hours, faultless. I knew when I began this, the 7th build, it was going to acheive an unlikely long running history. Feel free to take advice, and hack away. If there is room to make the 80mm hole a 92, it is worth it.