Making the switch - Nvidia > Amd

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I'm looking for the ultimate Ultra wide screen graphics solution. Cost really isn't a factor, but making a smart purchase is.

I've been reading reviews and benchmarks that illustrate AMD cards have a significant advantage when it come to high res gaming due to their cards having more ROP's and subsequently better fill-rate.

The main reasons I have always chosen Nvidia is that I like cool and quiet components. I don't want to have a component that operates at 95 deg celsius even if it is certified to do so.

So I ask this- Is there really any great real world advantage of running AMD graphics over Nvidia for 4K gaming irrespective of price, Is it worth making the switch ?

My current motherboard supports 4-way SLI and only 2-way CorssfireX. I'm not sure how this will have an impact on things down the track, but I thought I should make mention of it.

Any feedback welcome.

Solution
Unless you get triple 780ti's or a radeon 295x2, you won't be 4k gaming anytime soon. Both dual R9 290Xs and dual 780tis cannot sustain the 60fps even in benchmarks, let alone when things go to hell in a game with everything blowing up on screen at once. The only card that has so far been shown to do this is the 295x2. And even then, you will be getting lowish end performance in 4k for those 60fps.

My advice for 4K gaming? Wait until it becomes the norm and affordable. Unless you have a lot of money and time to burn.

And radeons aren't broken. Don't listen to people that throw those standard lines out there. I have both brands cards in different PCs, and there are small issues with both depending on the game.

If you are happy with...

sapperastro

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Unless you get triple 780ti's or a radeon 295x2, you won't be 4k gaming anytime soon. Both dual R9 290Xs and dual 780tis cannot sustain the 60fps even in benchmarks, let alone when things go to hell in a game with everything blowing up on screen at once. The only card that has so far been shown to do this is the 295x2. And even then, you will be getting lowish end performance in 4k for those 60fps.

My advice for 4K gaming? Wait until it becomes the norm and affordable. Unless you have a lot of money and time to burn.

And radeons aren't broken. Don't listen to people that throw those standard lines out there. I have both brands cards in different PCs, and there are small issues with both depending on the game.

If you are happy with Nvidia, stay with Nvidia. If you feel like a change, try AMD. You won't lose either way, honestly. I don't care what I buy (though I tend to buy EVGA for Nvidia and Sapphire for AMD cards), I just buy the best performance I can get for the best price. Simples.

Solution

oxiide

Distinguished
I don't think there's a categorical performance difference between AMD and Nvidia, even at high resolutions, but there's certainly a major value difference. For 4K gaming today, you really can't make a smarter purchase than the R9 295X2. It was already reasonably priced at $1500, and I think its going to be on a promotional sale for $1000 soon. Performance-wise, I don't think comparable Nvidia hardware is too far behind, you'll just pay more for it. And yes, maybe in some games that extra frame buffer will matter, though two 3 GB GTX 780 Ti's seem to do okay at 4K in most games today.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7930/the-amd-radeon-r9-295x2-review

Smartest thing to do would be to wait for the next round of cards from both companies, though. At the least it may drive some price cuts.

If its so widespread that they're "broken" without it, its funny how thousands of people with AMD cards don't complain about this on every corner of the internet at all times. I'm not questioning that you've had issues, but to suggest everyone does is a silly blanket statement.

Embra

Distinguished
At 1440p a 290, 290x 780ti or 295x2 will work very well. Depends on what you want to spend.
Non-reference cooled cards (Which is what you will be considering) have no issue of noise or temp between Nvidia and AMD cards. All you need to do is look at reviews of these cards.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Ok, thanks for the info guys.

I was just thinking - if I go with the 780 ti SLI, it will open up[ a window to get a 3rd or fourth card when they drop in price since I am limited to only two AMD cards with my current Mobo ?

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

I wish that were true for me. At 1440p I'd be lucky to get 30fps out of the games I play and thanks to my unfortunately high FFR 30 fps looks like my monitor is stuck in a paint shaker. :S

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe you missed the part where I said Ultra widescreen gaming, I dunno, but all the benchmarks put a single 780 at around 30fps at this resolution in most demanding games.

The benchmarks would have me believe I need 780ti X 2 to achieve anything over 40fps with 4k.

Thanks, most useful.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

Have you read many benchmarks ? for 1440p a single 780 is not viable, unless you like 30fps on medium-high settings. Hell, even a single 780ti isn't viable at anything over 2560x1440

I just can't take that recommendation seriously. It's clear I'll need a 2 way 780ti or 295x minimum.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012