Question Making themed build, need user input

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Hey y'all

I'm finalizing my "Big O" themed build, I have all the guts and internals, I just need a pretty chassis to throw it in. I've narrowed it down to a few selections but I also wanted some community input (hopefully from people who have done builds with similar cases/components)

Components:
  • i7-8700K (stable 4.9Ghz, currently tweaking for stable 5.0Ghz)
  • ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X (Wi-Fi)
  • G.Skill TridentZ 2x8 GB DDR4 @ 3600
  • ASUS ROG Ryuo 240mm AIO
  • EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2
  • Seasonic SSR-750PX
  • 1.5 TB adata SX8200 NVMe (1tb + 500gb)
  • (2) Seagate HDD 7200rpm
Current chassis is a Zalman Neo Z9, it's not bad but it's not great, I have issues (especially ~2 years post build) with the optical drive bays taking up the top portion of front intake and choking off good airflow to where the DRAM and CPU sit (the top radiator fan currently reaches the bottom portion of the RAM&CPU), combined with the fact I've used the CD/DVD r/w maybe 3 times since installing it. I feel the top & front ventilations are restrictive, so my criteria when browsing for cases are as follows:

1. "The most important rule is you must dress in black", black palette is a must, no dark grays trying to pass themselves off as black. (Red LED's okay)
  2. Thermal/airflow performance, I have my CPU and GPU overclocked so good airflow is necessary to avoid cooking components
  3. Side panel to view components - Tempered Glass preferred to Acrylic, scuffs too easily and to my perspective distorts the viewing of the components
  4. Future proof frontports - I know this one is tricky as USB standards change every year is seems, but having a Type-C connector on the front panel would be nice (not top tier importance, my motherboard has 1 type-c slot).
Budget : preferably $100-$200, can be swayed to go up to $250 max

I've been eyeing the Cougar Panzer Evo , the Corsair iCUE 465 , NZXT 510 Elite , and the Fractal Design S2 Vision as examples

I know I already know what I'm looking for but I appreciate the feedback of other community members who may have done a build in these cases or can recommend suggestions they think would be good. There's a chasm to me between looking at specs listings and YouTube channel reviews (which may or may not be influenced by sponsorship) and the actual application of everyday users and gamers, so I'd like to know what my fellow peasants have found during their time building. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to give input!

A231-18.jpg