Making Windows 7 Image

cmstormscouts

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I have a other internal hard drive, I wanna use to copy my windows image and make it bootable if someone happens to my main drive
I already created window image
Back Up & Restore > Create a system image > Put it on my internal hard drive
Remove my main drive
And it doesn't boot from the backup hard drive

How do a fix this issue?

Solution
A system image of a boot drive/partition is not bootable in it's current form. If you look at the system image you'll see it's just a large file in a proprietary image format. No way is that going to boot into Windows, it won't boot into anything.

First you have to write that image back to your boot drive by booting from the "System Repair Disc" which you make via the Backup and Restore utility (the same utility you used to create the image). Without a System Repair Disc, the system image you created cannot be used, so you've only done half the job.

If you want a backup drive that is an exact bootable copy of your existing boot drive, you need to use hard drive cloning software instead. There's a free one here...
A system image of a boot drive/partition is not bootable in it's current form. If you look at the system image you'll see it's just a large file in a proprietary image format. No way is that going to boot into Windows, it won't boot into anything.

First you have to write that image back to your boot drive by booting from the "System Repair Disc" which you make via the Backup and Restore utility (the same utility you used to create the image). Without a System Repair Disc, the system image you created cannot be used, so you've only done half the job.

If you want a backup drive that is an exact bootable copy of your existing boot drive, you need to use hard drive cloning software instead. There's a free one here: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

Solution

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
MS Backup is notorious for fails.
If you want to keep using ms backup, simply keep trying till it works. yes, keep trying till it works.... system image is literally a mirror image of your hard drive and MS sucks so bad at backups that it can even screw that up...
Otherwise, there are better backup solutions out there.

cmstormscouts

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

I downloaded it and put it on the hard drive and even extract the files
Then put my system image on it
Doesn't work any idea?

Go to Start button \ right click on Computer \ and select Manage \ click on Disk Management \ the second hard drive should read as "Active" on the partition where you copied the image.. if it doesn't right click on it and select Mark Partition as Active. You can make one partition active for each hard drive so don't worry about messing up the main hard drive. One doubt is: do you have the option during boot to select Windows 7 on the second hard drive? in any case try the application EasyBCD to edit/verify the boot loader for dual boot.