"Malaysia" vs "Costa Rica" ivy bridge chips

Lucem Ferre

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Just picked up a "Costa Rica" 3770K and so far at 4.8Ghz on air its only pegging 78C with intel burn test. It seems the first batch of Malasian ivy bridge chips were just terrible and the new batch's are far superior. My first chip was an 8th week chip and this new chip is a 19th week. Needless to say if you were to buy one today it would overclock a lot better then release chips.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Have you considered the fact that u might just have been lucky to get a very good chip? :) Most likely ur chip is the exception, not the rule.....we'll have to wait for a few more months to confirm this :)

Lucem Ferre

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

That is a possibility but from reading over at various boards the newer the batch the better the temps and overclocking.

Intel's 22nm process just gets better and better by the day

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Quite possible...i wudn't disregard that, but IIRC the heating problem was not with the 22nm lithography technique used, it was with the solder used for heat transfer, or somethin like that :)

Lucem Ferre

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

While i agree the TIM instead of FS is an issue the progression of the maturity of the process will also contribute to temps. I just hope they use FS with the IBE chips.

That happened with Sandy chips too, lol. The Costa Rica chips were supposedly the "good" ones (which I have a Costa Rica 2500K, actually). I never have put much stock into that though. I have a feeling that sentiment is just carrying over to Ivy now, with no real basis behind it. You just got lucky...

Frogman_190

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I had a Malay i5 3570k and the temps were not consistent running 4.6 at 1.35v never got past 75 celcius though with good watercooling . I purchased that chip in june 2012 , i broke it on the weekend , bought a new one and it's from costa rica , running the same oc it is 10 degrees cooler at load and the cores are more consistent