Question Malware hijacks browser to post on message boards

Apr 20, 2019
Hi all,

I haven't been to this board in years, but I remember it as a good place to get help. Well, I need help. :oops:

There is something attacking both Chrome and Firefox to post messages from me to a board I frequent (Aquarium Advice, fwiw). It happens when I try to reply to a message or a private message. The malware simply posts my user name in the message body field --or the message title field, if there is quoted text in the body text box and the title is empty-- and then posts it to the board. In other words, it's a single word message from me of just my user name. It doesn't do this every time, but maybe every 3-5 times, and it's become very annoying.

At first I thought it was only infecting Chrome, but today I noted the behavior in Firefox. Argh. Before that, I had gone so far as to delete Chrome entirely from my system and then re-install it, but, obviously that didn't help. I use both AVG antivirus and Malwarebytes Premium, both up-to-date, but the problem still happens. And Aquarium Advice is the only board this seems to happen on. (It would be one of my favorites. 😒 )

Any advice is welcome, as are any follow-up questions. Details of my system are below.

Thanks much!

Win 10 Home edition
12GB ram
CPU i7-4771 3.5 GHZ

Chrome
Version 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Firefox
Version 66.0.3 (64-bit)

Antivirus:
AVG version 19.3.3084, build 19.3.4241.450, UI 1.0.156
Malwarebytes 3.7.1.2839, Component Package Version 1.0.563, Update Package Version 1.0.10258

Run ALL of these.

https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/hmp.aspx

Where there are only trials, run the trial version. It still offers full featured second opinion scanning and all of these tend to pick up things that traditional scanners do not.

If all else fails, this is the place you want to go for answers.