Man needs help with his freezing problems :(

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
I've recently been having a lot of trouble with my pc, I built it myself about three to four years ago and for the first two years it ran very smoothly. I had spent a lot of time and money into it and was very proud of what I had made. Since installing windows 10 about a year and a half ago I ran into some issues, I would consistently get a BSOD and at the time did not know what was causing my problems. As a typical teenage boy, i let the problem drag out without trying to find a solution for it, I would pray for lucky days and then play video games for as long as I could hoping that it wouldn't crash. After reaching a point where my PC just wouldn't run 5 mins without crashing I resorted to sending it to a local expert to take a look but they couldn't find my problem. I would then spend hours looking for problems and even resorting to just resetting my system. After a few months with no success, I decided to upgrade some parts assuming it was a hardware problem. I bought a new CPU and a new Motherboard. As I say I was a teenage boy that makes rash and impulsive decisions. After trying these new parts out I came to a conclusion that my PC was finished and left it for about a year without going on it as I couldn't handle the stress. Tomorrow I leave for University and over the last couple days I have been trying to fix my PC once again as I would really like to take it with me, I am also studying a course that will require a computer that can run some heavy programs (ngl I also would like a game of LoL once in a while). I downloaded a blue screen viewer program and received information back that said I had an error code 119, after research, I assumed this was a graphic design program. First, off I ask for anyone who may have the knowledge of PC hardware that first with these issues is it safe to just upgrade parts? I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card next purely to see if that's the issue with it being a few years old now (Its the Asus GTX 660) whereas id consider my motherboard and CPU to be fairly new. And second, I ask would you say at this point its legit worth buying a whole new system, maybe keeping some of my newer parts and going from there. I have been told that even my windows could be a problem. After suffering for so long with so much help, all i ask for is a little guidance from anyone who may be able to give it. I also do not know the exact specs of all of my components but I know I'm running 8GB of memory, I7 intel processor and i have an SSD as well as a WD Harddrive. As I say, any little helps such as any good for value graphics card suggestions or even if it's just a funny joke to cheer me up. Thanks.

Solution
I can't see the picture (for whatever reason) but assume Mind Games did. Microsoft's own site tends to provide more info than shown there (which is odd).

I'll add the following suggestions:

To check RAM, see if you can download and run MemTest86+. It helps to identify RAM (and RAM slot) errors. 8 passes are recommended. You'll need a USB stick.

With the graphics card... if possible have it installed in another PC to see if it works. At the very least, remove the graphics card and see if the blue screens still occur using the i7's integrated graphics.

Doing both may help to narrow down the cause.
Let's try and disentangle that wall of text so others can help.

Self build Windows 10 PC has BSODs.
Local repair shop couldn't find problem.
Tried upgrading CPU and motherboard.
Left it alone for about a year.
About to go to uni; would like PC for NGL (and LOL). Attempted to diagnose problem again.
Blue screen viewer states error code 119.

Correct?

Full specs could prove useful as well. Something like Speccy would help in that respect. You'd need to look at the PSU to find out what it is.

Personally I wouldn't chuck more money towards hardware until you can confirm it is a hardware issue causing the BSODs. What information did you manage to get from this blue screen software? This would provide a way of figuring what may be the problem. (Or is that error code about the software not running?) Even seeing what the BSOD message and error code would help. As it is, it's potentially wide ranging and difficult to narrow down.

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

Correct, cheers for the help man. My specs are:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 4.00GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-PRO GAMER (SOCKET 1150)
Graphics
S22B150 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 (SATA)
232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SSD)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

And when using the blue screen error, this is the information I receive:

rX32Gmw
rX32Gmw

Im not sure if you can see this picture^

I can't see the picture (for whatever reason) but assume Mind Games did. Microsoft's own site tends to provide more info than shown there (which is odd).

I'll add the following suggestions:

To check RAM, see if you can download and run MemTest86+. It helps to identify RAM (and RAM slot) errors. 8 passes are recommended. You'll need a USB stick.

With the graphics card... if possible have it installed in another PC to see if it works. At the very least, remove the graphics card and see if the blue screens still occur using the i7's integrated graphics.

Doing both may help to narrow down the cause.

Solution

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

Okay, thanks for the help. I'll quickly explain my situation as i have done some of these things already. So far i have ran a mem test but i struggle to make sense of it when I did use it though i think i found at the time i had no issues, ill run it again now. Secondly, i did try installing my brother's graphics card and downloading his drivers to try that out as our systems are very similar and I found that it was still freezing when going into LOL games.

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

Thanks mate, im going to run tests on them both again now.

I have just ran a mem test and received 0 errors when using both ram in at the same time, i know you're supposed to do them separately which i forgot to do but either way it said no errors anyways.

you should put a current memory dump onto a server so it can be looked at.
copy files c:\windows\minidump directory to a cloud server like Microsoft onedrive, mark the files for public access and post a link.

if you have not done so, update the BIOS or reset it to defaults and reboot.
(it will rebuild the database of hardware settings that the bios sends to windows)
also go to your motherboard vendors website and update to the current motherboard drivers. (make sure you update the audio drivers, then go to device manager and disable any sound device that does not have a speaker connected to it) common for the sound drivers to use the same DMA channel at the sound support for the video driver. ( video driver has to support sound for HDMI cable, you can disable the GPU sound if you don't have speakers in the monitor that get sound via the video cable)

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

I just created what you said and here is the link so people can view my minidump:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjWwuG9ygtwDhkjZT2oJpmEj4nxp

I will go through and try that motherboard reset now, Thanks.

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Okay so big news, i removed my graphics card and am using my integrated graphics on my processor and so far i have not yet crashed or had any issues that i had previously. The only issue i have is that the screen becomes jumpy when playing games, almost like a lag but more of flickering. i presume this is due to using the integrated graphics.

If by flickering it means a sort of 'flip' book effect, then it's highly likely the integrated graphics can't handle the game.

It does sound like the issue is narrowed down to the graphics card related though (so Mind Games could be correct the graphics card is failing). Hopefully johnbl returns to look at the minidump. (I can only run it through Blue Screen View for a basic understanding of stuff.)

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

Okay cheers mate, im looking into buying a new one anyways
do you or anyone have any suggestions on good graphics cards no more than £200 that are compatible with my build? thanks, appreciate all the help.

Under £200? That's a tough one as prices are still somewhat inflated. (Been searching for new one myself...) From PC Part Picker, there are some GTX 1060 3GB model graphic cards which come under £200. Though how well that 3GB of VRAM will endure in future is probably the main question; I believe many think it's better to go with the 6GB model but that is likely to be over £200.

Best to check on motherboard model though. I wouldn't anticipate a compatibility issue (it's usually a safe upgrade to make), but depending how old the motherboard is there are potential issues with newer graphics cards.

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

So yeah, i understand what you mean, if you think it's worth it I could potentially push my budget for a graphics card a bit further if it'll help prepare for the future. I was looking into 1050 GPU's as they are more likely to be more compatible with my motherboard although I'm not sure how to check when my motherboard was released, not even had it a year I don't think. I can, however, increase my budget depending how much more some maybe.

Any of the hardware monitors can pull the system spec information from your PC, eg. Speccy, CPU-Z, HWMonitor.

The compatibility is more generational, if such a problem does occur (which is unlikely for the most part). I just like to err on the side of caution. I've heard that it's more likely around the Sandy Bridge era of Intel CPUs more, especially with prebuilts.

A 1050 (ti) is tiered higher (one tier) than the 660 (ti) (according to Tom's own hierarchy chart). Supposedly, the architecture of the 660 means drivers are less optimised for it now, so even a 1050 could prove more of a performance boost than pure numbers suggest. At the very least, it's a close modern equivalent.

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

So would you say it is worth it to go for a 1060 or should I save the money and go for 1050? I know the chances there will be very little issues with both but would there be much difference in performance wise for the money?

However, you mentioned trying your brother's GPU at one time, and it failed to resolve problem. So it is possible, that it is not a GPU problem, but either PCIe slot problem or PSU problem. Former one should be easy to check: put your GPU into middle x16 slot and see if that helps. Latter - well, you still did not mention what PSU you have, but anyway the best test would be to use another know working PSU (like from your brother's machine).

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

Oh yeah i forgot about that, the only thing is ive moved away from home now so have no was of testing another PSU but i can try changing my PCIe slot and seeing if that works although the motherboard is fairly new

hunterrrrtom

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Youse aren't gonna believe this, I've tried my GPU in another slot, something i never thought to try, and so far it's working fine. Idk what to say tbh but i think its a faulty PCIe slot, idk what to do about it but atm im just using a different one. I think it is in my best interest never the less to look at upgrading my current gpu though as ive had this a long time and its been through a lot but still not sure rn.

Run CPU-Z, and check if your card runs at x16 in that second slot. If it does, then you can use that slot without any fear of loosing performance. If it shows it running at only x8, it would limit performance of better cards (but not your 660).