Man vs Machine Breaks Record: 999 Simultaneous Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I was slightly excited for this *not enough to take part in it* but now I feel like it was really lame. At several points he ethier comments that he can't see his shots or it seems like hes fireing point blank and nothing happens. I get this was a test but If hit detection and projectile tracking is bad whats the point. 399 players in a working planet side game seems allot more interesting and incredible then 999 people basically running around. I am going to reserve my final opinion till I hear more but with all that is going on it seems possible that you could throw in some flashing lights some random deaths and tell people there fighting.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]cheeseborger[/nom]who cares if its a world record that game looked super boring[/citation]

You missed the point entirely. This is not even a game, it's a test! It was never meant to be a COD or Halo, it was just created to test the network and server technology, and set a world record in the process. It's like saying "3DMark06 is really boring, I can't even move or anything."

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I think Never that my point still stands the thing is that in order to SHOW the technology works for a FPS you need to at least to some degree prove the hits and shots are actually being registered right other wise you prove nothing. In my opinion this video is bunk regardless of weather its really record breaking or not because we see nothing that says to us THIS is done right. Hell for all we know 15% of the hits are not being detected making this basically a cute interactive video of 999 people. To me this would be like throwing a soccer ball in to a crowed stadium and saying that every one there played and its a new record guns in a game doesn't make it a working fps.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]illfindu[/nom]I think Never that my point still stands the thing is that in order to SHOW the technology works for a FPS you need to at least to some degree prove the hits and shots are actually being registered right other wise you prove nothing. In my opinion this video is bunk regardless of weather its really record breaking or not because we see nothing that says to us THIS is done right. Hell for all we know 15% of the hits are not being detected making this basically a cute interactive video of 999 people. To me this would be like throwing a soccer ball in to a crowed stadium and saying that every one there played and its a new record guns in a game doesn't make it a working fps.[/citation]
[citation][nom]illfindu[/nom]I think Never that my point still stands the thing is that in order to SHOW the technology works for a FPS you need to at least to some degree prove the hits and shots are actually being registered right other wise you prove nothing. In my opinion this video is bunk regardless of weather its really record breaking or not because we see nothing that says to us THIS is done right. Hell for all we know 15% of the hits are not being detected making this basically a cute interactive video of 999 people. To me this would be like throwing a soccer ball in to a crowed stadium and saying that every one there played and its a new record guns in a game doesn't make it a working fps.[/citation]

I agree with you in that regard, however how do we know if the shots and kills were being registered? My response was more towards the sentiment that "the game looks boring" because it's a simple straightforward map with crappy graphics, which to me is perfectly fine for a test. But I do agree that the basic functionality of a FPS should be there, which I honestly don't know if it was or not.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
They are not showing its possible at all there maybe showing it LOOKS possible technically any larger company wanting to show that they broke this record could shove 1500 players in a zone script in some explosions report some mike killed jims and say WOW look at our fps. If I say that my CPU runs at 10 GHZ and then show u a picture of my computer and a screen that says 10GHZ! is that gonna prove any thing to any one?

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Never you defiantly make a good point and that's what I'm saying , I am not even sure my point is that it WAS fake just that more there was no solid prof of almost any kind that things where really going as they promised , I thought I saw at least one person just running in place how do we know that's not server lag and if it is then it was pointless. I agree it does look boring which is fine for a test but since I see no results then the "test" seems boring as well.

yorgos

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
the best part is that you have 999 people commenting.
this is hilarious, the best comment I managed to read is....
"What is love, baby don't hurt me"

AHAHAHA, i fell down laughing.

headless97

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]illfindu[/nom]Never you defiantly make a good point and that's what I'm saying , I am not even sure my point is that it WAS fake just that more there was no solid prof of almost any kind that things where really going as they promised , I thought I saw at least one person just running in place how do we know that's not server lag and if it is then it was pointless. I agree it does look boring which is fine for a test but since I see no results then the "test" seems boring as well.[/citation]

Your proof is that it was overseen by Guinness World Records. If it was fake in any way it would not make it. They haven't admitted it yet but odds are in its favor. Also, the idea wasn't to make a 1000 player shooter, it was to make a game that can have 1000 players in it simultaneously. They were one shy but the technology is there and proven. Planetscape may be a better 'game' per se, but the technology is now proven to work. It would take -a lot- of work and money to make a fully functional shooter. Thanks to this record, we may see it in time.

blakphoenix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Not that impressed by this really, EVE Online quite often breaks the 1,000 mark on a single node without much lag. I know of battles that have included well over 3,000 people in the same system, all on one server, all interacting and fighting each other. Admittedly, lag can be quite horrible, but that's over 3 times as many people.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Headless your are not getting my point if you read there site Guiness just proved they where all there online, not that the game was actually a fully functioning FPS. The POINT of this test was to show they could have 1000 players PLAYING a fps on there server and what Im seeing doesn't show if there is hit detection weather players are getting disconnected. This was a demonstration of what there hardware can do having 1000 people run round is not nearly the same has running a full functioning game of 1000 people on a server. If this was a test to show there performance where are the results.

G

bunch of noobs not knowing anything from programming.

its called logs and source, they can prove who shot when where. they have recording of people getting shot. but thats part of the GAME not the network technology. the network technology is just supposed to grab that data produced by the game engine and send it to the server... along with 998 other people.

in the end its to check how heavy the server runs under pressure, how much lag people have, what caused lag. etc.... how the game works has NOTHING to do with the technology.

and the pings were great, i would highly reccomend it as a network base for future gaming. also remember the only thing that can make it slower is additional signals that need to be send. so games like crysis will eat more compared to CS/quake which can just jump and shoot.

the data is sent to big companies to assess and possibly invest in the technology.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]blakphoenix[/nom]Not that impressed by this really, EVE Online quite often breaks the 1,000 mark on a single node without much lag. I know of battles that have included well over 3,000 people in the same system, all on one server, all interacting and fighting each other. Admittedly, lag can be quite horrible, but that's over 3 times as many people.[/citation]

How do you know that EVE has only one server? As far as you know could be a server farm... that is usual!
The point was to have ONLY ONE SERVER and also it is not about having the players in the game, but having them in same game location simultaneously and interacting with each other! In Eve they are scattered trough the game world. At any single point in time in a single location in game you have only a few people...

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
hahaha looked like tons of fun.. Now imagine that on a very big BF3 map.. I wouldn't stop laughing on how crazy that would be. Great video, loved it. =D

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
This looks awesome, the only time I have ever seen this many interactive characters on a map at once was in the higher levels of Invasion Mode for UT04, on a really small map it gets VERY crowded

Status
Not open for further replies.