Manage domain user remotely

Hi There,

I am new to servers. I have a situation where one of our domain users
loacted in other city. I had built his machine and his password is about to
expire for the domain account. How can he reset his password remotely over
the vpn? Also, the windows does not pop up the window that notifies user
for password expiry.

Please help.

Thanks
Vivek

Assuming this is NT the client must find the PDC of the
domain across the VPN link. The easiest way to get this
to work is to have the remote machine point towards a
local (local to the PDC) name server e.g., WINS.

"Vivek Sharma" <joebloggs@news.com> wrote in message news:

> I am new to servers. I have a situation where one of our domain users
> loacted in other city. I had built his machine and his password is
about to
> expire for the domain account. How can he reset his password remotely
over
> the vpn? Also, the windows does not pop up the window that notifies
user
> for password expiry.

the client is XP and the server is 2000 SBS. What is PDC?

Thanks
Vivek
"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:O9A8dYv1EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Assuming this is NT the client must find the PDC of the
> domain across the VPN link. The easiest way to get this
> to work is to have the remote machine point towards a
> local (local to the PDC) name server e.g., WINS.
>
> "Vivek Sharma" <joebloggs@news.com> wrote in message news:
> >
> > I am new to servers. I have a situation where one of our domain users
> > loacted in other city. I had built his machine and his password is
> about to
> > expire for the domain account. How can he reset his password remotely
> over
> > the vpn? Also, the windows does not pop up the window that notifies
> user
> > for password expiry.

In that case it's a DNS issue. The XP client must still find
the SBS server in order to make the password change.
PDC is specific to NT 4.0 the Primary Domain Controller
is created during domain installation and holds the only
modifiable copy of the SAM database.. In W2k or higher
the change can be made by contacting any DC of the
domain.
"Vivek Sharma" <joebloggs@news.com> wrote in message news:
> the client is XP and the server is 2000 SBS. What is PDC?

In news:uIMPx1x1EHA.132@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Vivek Sharma <joebloggs@news.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> the client is XP and the server is 2000 SBS. What is PDC?

Make sure the XP client is using the address of the SBS for DNS.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

It is using the SBS IP. The problem now is if the domain user changes the
password while he is on VPN the password gets changed but cannot log on to
PC.