Question Managed to find a Ryzen 9 3900x at Microcenter- mobo ideas?

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Hey everyone,

So I managed to pick up a Ryzen 9 3900x for $540 at my local Microcenter yesterday- apparently they got a shipment of 3 yesterday, first in 6 weeks and I figured I may as well pull the trigger since who knows when they'd arrive next.

Now I need to get the motherboard- I've been looking at the Asus Tuf gaming x570 + wifi, but am not sure if the VRM can handle the 3900x comfortably. As far as additional features, all I really care about is an m.2 nvme slot as well as a pcie 4.0 x16 slot. For ram, I'm most likely going to get a 32 gb 3200 cl14 set, or a 3600 cl16 set.

Would I be skimping if I got this motherboard? I was hoping to not go overboard with spending on the mobo, but also don't want to inhibit the cpu by being conservative.

Looking forward to any suggestions.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
That's what I was hoping- I know some cheaper motherboards don't have beefy enough vrms to allow higher tdp processors to boost properly/run as stable, but I've heard Asus uses very high quality VRMS and that boards like this should comfortably handle higher core cpus like the 3900. Good to hear that seems to be true