Manual or Automatic case fan controller?

Adorician

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
This is my first build, and the case I'm using is the NZXT Phantom (full parts list here). Something that I didn't spot in my research is that (a) the case comes with a manual fan controller, and (b) all the stock fans in the case (there are 4) use 3-pin connectors.

I'm not too keen on having to fuss with a manual controller on my first build, so I was wondering if I should (a) grab an aftermarket fan controller with an automatic mode, (b) try to find an adapter that will convert the 3-pin fan connector to 4-pin so I can connect them to my mobo, or (c) not worry about it.

I do plan on using either the ROG connect feature along with my laptop to monitor temperatures, or using multiple monitors, with another temperature program up on one of the other monitors.

I don't plan on overclocking right now, but I would like to leave that option open.

Solution
I would use the NZXT controller. It will automatically adjust the rpm so you don't always have to glance at your temps and not pay attention to the guy shooting at you, or the car overtaking you, or whatever games you play. (assuming its a gaming PC)
I would use the NZXT controller. It will automatically adjust the rpm so you don't always have to glance at your temps and not pay attention to the guy shooting at you, or the car overtaking you, or whatever games you play. (assuming its a gaming PC)

Solution

Adorician

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Are you referring to the manual controller built into the case, or one of the other fan controllers that NZXT makes?

Adroid

Distinguished
The other option is if the noise doesn't bother you, plug the fans directly into the PSU and forget about it. You can do that with at least one of the exhaust fans, and the rest can be controlled by the mobo if you need the control.

In most cases (pun intended) you can set a couple fans to medium and a couple to high and you' re done.

I overclock and wear headphones when I game, so I prefer a cool case over a quiet one. My fans are good quality anyway, including a 240 mm that is near silent and moves a lot of air.

The built in one.

TRENDING THREADS