Manual "Overclocking" vs Turbo Boost

Shehriazad

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
So after looking at my 860K for a while I realized something. The voltage of the chip goes WAY up if I let it use Turbo Boost.

It goes from roughly 1.3V to 1.41 just for the 300 MHZ boost. Not to mention that it's a bit jumpy (100 MHZ jumps from 3900-400 @ 1.4 and 1.41v)
Since my boost is on 24/7, anyway I figured it might be better to disable boost and just manually OC to 4 GHZ.

Is there anything that would speak against it?

Manually I can run the "OC" at 4GHZ (which is max official boost) at about 1.36V just fine (Didn't go lower yet since I run long test periods for stability).

But here the real question: Would there be anything speaking against keeping the max boost frequency manually vs using Turbo Boost? I figured it would be less harming to the CPU since the voltage is lower...but I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

When the cpu turbo's it only uses three of the six cores. When you manually overclock, all six cores will be at whatever speed , 4 GHz in your case. My 8320 has been running Prime95 stable at 4.6 GHz for two plus years at 1.47 vcore. After I get my overclocks stable I turn the power saving features back on.