Question Manual shutdown not working, but power on and reset are.

Nov 6, 2019
I bought a Dell Y2MRG motherboard from ebay and it seems to work fine, but there's an issue when it comes to powering off. I don't believe it's case related, but motherboard related and i'm curious to know whether it could be fixed. The power button turns the pc on just fine, but if i hold it, it does not power off the machine. The reset switch also works fine as well. This is a bit annoying because i'm building the pc for someone and I want to make sure that everything is in good shape for them. I'm curious to know if there's any idea people would have to why holding the power button to turn off the machine does anything at all.

Last edited:
Sure, the switch is probably bad. Why are you trying to "hold" the button to shut down? Does shut down work normally from within Windows using the start menu commands or have you not tried that yet?

Have you tried ONLY briefly pushing the power button, rather than trying to hold it down, in order to shut down? Have you tried disconnecting the case connections and using a flat screwdriver to short the two pins that the power button connects to on the motherboard? It should work both ways. Short to turn on, short to turn off. If that won't work, then there is likely an issue with the motherboard itself.

Nov 6, 2019
Sure, the switch is probably bad. Why are you trying to "hold" the button to shut down? Does shut down work normally from within Windows using the start menu commands or have you not tried that yet?

Have you tried ONLY briefly pushing the power button, rather than trying to hold it down, in order to shut down? Have you tried disconnecting the case connections and using a flat screwdriver to short the two pins that the power button connects to on the motherboard? It should work both ways. Short to turn on, short to turn off. If that won't work, then there is likely an issue with the motherboard itself.
I mean't to reply

Does it work WITHOUT having an OS drive connected. Unplug all the storage devices. Power on the system. Allow it to POST. Push the power button and see if it shuts down. This will tell us if it a hardware issue or a Windows setting, because button behavior can be changed in the Windows power settings.

Nov 6, 2019
Does it work WITHOUT having an OS drive connected. Unplug all the storage devices. Power on the system. Allow it to POST. Push the power button and see if it shuts down. This will tell us if it a hardware issue or a Windows setting, because button behavior can be changed in the Windows power settings.
Yeah no shutdown

Ah I see but if that's the case why does shorting the power pins only turn it on and not turn it off?
You've got an HP with one of it's strange BIOS'. I had a similar HP system (not hardware wise, just a strange BIOS with curious and unique HP settings) and seem to remember seeing one setting that enabled a 4 Second delay for shutdown. I took that to mean either turn off immediately or no 4 second delay...but maybe it meant the other way around.

Just an observation, mainly, but it could be a careful crawl of BIOS settings might reveal something ignored or forgot.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Nov 6, 2019
You've got an HP with one of it's strange BIOS'. I had a similar HP system (not hardware wise, just a strange BIOS with curious and unique HP settings) and seem to remember seeing one setting that enabled a 4 Second delay for shutdown. I took that to mean either turn off immediately or no 4 second delay...but maybe it meant the other way around.

Just an observation, mainly, but it could be a careful crawl of BIOS settings might reveal something ignored or forgot.
It's a dell XPS 8300 board.