[SOLVED] Manually mapping a drobo as a network drive

dogmanuk

Prominent
Jan 10, 2020
Morning all,

Long time browser, this forum has helped me loads over the past. Hopefully someone can help me with my problem.

I have a Drobo B800fs (network attached storage device) which has worked perfectly for a number of years. A couple of days ago I deleted circa 50% of the information from it and now it has gotten annoyed and won't mount.

I have contacted Drobo support and they have advised that I can map the drive manually within Windows Explorer, this is where I get stuck.

I am not sure of the syntax which I type to map the drive. I know that it is connected to my network on the ip address 192.168.1.50 but I am unsure of what "/", the server name etc.. to type? It also has a user name and password enabled (which I obviously know) so I guess I need to type that in somewhere also.

If anybody can help I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks.

Solution
so mapping a share is usually as simple as the following:
\\IP_ADDRESS\SHARE_NAME

So in your case it would be \\192.168.1.50\SHARE_NAME.

Usually, you can even leave the SHARE_NAME off and it will show you all the available share names.

It should automatically prompt you for a password if you have one set up.

Hope this helps!
so mapping a share is usually as simple as the following:
\\IP_ADDRESS\SHARE_NAME

So in your case it would be \\192.168.1.50\SHARE_NAME.

Usually, you can even leave the SHARE_NAME off and it will show you all the available share names.

It should automatically prompt you for a password if you have one set up.

Hope this helps!

Solution

dogmanuk

Prominent
Jan 10, 2020
Thanks Samir, I think that may be where the issue lies as I don't know what the directory, folder for the drobo is. I think I just tried the IP alone last night and it didn't connect.

I am at home at the moment so can't try your suggestions. I will give it a go when I finish work.

Thanks again for your help, it is really appreciated.

Jan 2, 2020
I've just tried it with my NAS (actually mine's a USB drive plugged into the router), I normally access it via \\IPaddr\Drive. I'd never tried just putting the IP in alone, I've just tried it in Windows Explorer and can confirm it does work, you just need the \\ in front of it, it then shows the drive name with a network folder icon.

If you can't see the drive name by typing in \\192.168.x.x then you don't have a network connection to it.