Question Manufacturer will not honor warranty due to their claim that mobo shows signs of oxidation ?

Mar 26, 2023
The motherboard was less than 1 months and it died. I claim warranty and was told there was oxidation so no warranty. In less than 1 month, there cannot cause oxidation. They showed me the soldering was oxidated. I told them it must be a design flaw or factory defect and they will not honor it. It took them more than a month to notify me. When INTEL was selling desktop motherboard, their warranty was he best in the market, overnight shipping. These third party motherboard manufacturer has the worse warranty, takes a least a month and never know if they will honor their warranty. Which manufacturer give the best warranty, just like INTEL?

Mar 26, 2023
From where did you purchase your motherboard? What make/model?

Was this device used in an atypical environment (like in wet conditions)?
I don't want to disclose where I purchased and the manufacturer for now, but the motherboard is an INTEL with 660 chipset. This system is used in a normal office environment. 75 degrees room temperature. Nothing special application. I have been buying this brand motherboard ever since INTEL stop producing desktop motherboard, it was even recommended by INTEL support. Bad warranty service, it took more than a month to tell me they will not cover the warranty.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023
From where did you purchase your motherboard? What make/model?

Was this device used in an atypical environment (like in wet conditions)?
Nothing visible enough for me to nice. They showed me the picture and i cannot even see it clearly. Still oxidation in less than a month is ridiculous. The manufacturer is saving money for 1 motherboard that cost them maybe $30 to manufacture. That is why I stayed with INTEL until they stop producing desktop motherboards. When a customer buy a system from, when INTEL was still selling desktop m/b, I can guaranty the customer 3 years warranty and 2 days turn around. Now, you cannot tell your customer the turn around is 1 month, because it take the manufacturer at least 1 month, so you end up losing money.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I don't want to disclose where I purchased and the manufacturer for now, but the motherboard is an INTEL with 660 chipset. This system is used in a normal office environment. 75 degrees room temperature. Nothing special application. I have been buying this brand motherboard ever since INTEL stop producing desktop motherboard, it was even recommended by INTEL support. Bad warranty service, it took more than a month to tell me they will not cover the warranty.
Did you try returning to who you purchased the motherboard from before contacting the manufacturer? Or, did this occur beyond the return period?

Upload pictures to a site like imgur.com and then post a link here.

Pictures are helpful...also knowing a bit more about your situation.

What's the climate like where you live? Wide temperature swings and high humidity encourages moisture condensation on the motherboard which can quickly oxidize solder joints. That's typical of humid, water side communities in temperate climates without room climate control. Run the computer for a while it warms up, turn it off and moisture condenses on it as it cools. Oxidation and corrosion formattion is even worse close to an ocean or sea shore with it's salty air. In such places, it's common to keep electronics constantly operating so the warmth and air movement prevents moisture condensation.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023
The motherboard was less than 1 months and it died. I claim warranty and was told there was oxidation so no warranty. In less than 1 month, there cannot cause oxidation. They showed me the soldering was oxidated. I told them it must be a design flaw or factory defect and they will not honor it. It took them more than a month to notify me. When INTEL was selling desktop motherboard, their warranty was he best in the market, overnight shipping. These third party motherboard manufacturer has the worse warranty, takes a least a month and never know if they will honor their warranty. Which manufacturer give the best warranty, just like INTEL?
Motherboard 660