mrmafia

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Hello. I have some questions that you can maybe answer to me. I'm very confused, and curious how Dell, HP, Toshiba and other computer brands, build their computers. They buy all pieces and built in Personalized Cases for them ? where they buy their monitors (they have ex: HP monitors, but i think they don't build them!) ? In Laptop business, where do they buy their "cases" (i don't know the right word for PC cases in laptops)? They buy theirs processors to INTEL/AMD and put him in laptop "cases" or they buy already builted barebones with everything ?! and to who they buy ? Please i'm very curious about this. If you know please answer ;) thnks in advance! ;)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell has their motherboards designed for them by Intel and produced by Intel's manufacturing partners. Dell buys there cases custom.

Most HP boards are produced by Asus, where HP gives Asus the specifications and Asus finds the closest matching board from their collection, then modifies it to HP's requirements. HP has their cases custom made as well.

MOST laptops are standard parts, bought from laptop companies and re-labled by the company selling them. Laptop companies design their own boards and cases, and hire companies to make the custom parts that they don't make themselves.

Some laptops are custom designed in entirety by companies like Dell.

Nobody buys laptop cases from a standard parts selection, they get other companies to manufacture what they need to fit a specific set of parts.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mrmafia

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
So, what you're saying is that Companies like Dell, HP, don't buy already made barebones to other companies...they buy motherboards/processores to one company, for example Intel, and they hire other companies to make their laptop chassis...so in the end, they put intel's board in the custom made chassis by another company [for example Lian(don't know if they make laptop chassis, its an example)] and voilá, they got a laptop! It's what I understood from your post. Please correct me if i'm right. Thanks for your answer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They do laptops and desktops differently. Compaq/HP just buys the parts for most desktops, except for the cases which they design themselves then have made for them. Dell has their boards designed for them and designs their own cases, for desktops.

For laptops, HP/Compaq do both, they buy pre-made laptops and put their brand on them, plus they have some others custom designed and buy those, also pre-made. Dell designs their own and has them made for them.

Toshiba and Sony design AND produce their own I believe.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mrmafia

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
you're not asking my question. My question is if they buy parts of the laptop and the "chassis/case" and built it, or if they buy barebones/pre-made laptops and they only put their brand.

RichPLS

Champion
He did answer you.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mrmafia

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Yes, you're right. I didn't read it well. But the companies that build their own laptops, what they do ? They have them made their "case/chassis+lcd+keyboard" designed by them, and then they put all parts in that case/chassis ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Assemblers either buy:
1.) A pre-designed laptop, minus a few parts, which they put in on their own, or
2.) A pre-assebled laptop of their own design, custom made for them, with the same parts missing.

When the laptop gets to the distribution center, it's configure for the customer by putting in either the base hard drive or an optionally larger hard drive, either the base CD device or one with more features (such as a CD-RW, DVD-ROM, or DVD-RW), and either the base size memory (128MB or 256MB) or an upgraded size (256MB or 512MB).

They don't put the motherboard into the case themselves, they finish the product through access doors (such as the hard drive cover) or through part of the case that was left off intentionally for that purpose.

mrmafia

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
oh! now i understood :) but if a laptop is broken/damaged in for example LCD, or keyboard, or a part of motherboard, Dell/HP/... sent it back to Compal/Quanta/blabla to be fixed ? Or they have electronics enginereing that could fix that ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't believe so, I believe they order a certain number of spare parts and have repair technicians do the repairs.

Does your local dealer have to send your car back to Ford, GM, Honda...to get it fixed?