[SOLVED] Many BSODs on fresh build ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

codelode

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Starting Friday, December 2nd, I started building my new PC with custom water-cooling. I thought the hardest part would be the loop and not murdering my PC with liquid, but the real trouble started late Friday night when I transferred my SSDs from my current build to the new build, and tried to reinstall windows on it.

Specs:

CPURyzen 9 7950x
MOBOGigabyte x670e AORUS XTREME
GPUGigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
RAM2x16gb G.Skill Trizent Z5 NEO RGB
Boot DriveSabrent 2TB (SB-Rocket-2TB)
Second & Third DriveSabrent 2TB (SB-Rocket-2TB)
Fourth DriveSabrent ROCKET 4 Plus-G 4TB (SB-RKTG-4TB)
PSUCorsair HX1200

After installing all the drives, I booted it up and was greeted with a low-res windows 11 install from my current build. This confirmed to me it was working well enough, so I shut it down then plugged in the win 11 boot media I had created in order to reformat the drive and start fresh.

When I was in the win 11 installation process, I chose to do a custom install, and deleted + formatted my previous C drive, then chose that drive as the drive to install to. The installer seemed happy with this for a moment, then I was hit with the first of many BSODs of the night. I don't recall exactly what the first BSOD was, but I'll list all of the BSODs I would encounter below.

Next, I tried to install again in various ways, all of them failing with BSODs, until eventually I also tried to boot into an Ubuntu live media drive, which got me some progress, save for some issues with nouveau that had to be dealt with. I got to the install process of ubuntu, then it hung for a bit, then hung for a long bit, and I gave up.

I would go to retry Windows 11 again, and this time after messing with BIOS settings around CMS and secure boot, I managed to get windows 11 fully installed, but I was stuck in a loop of doing the first 3 steps of the introduction (choose country, keyboard, language) where without fail in these three views I would BSOD again, or just crash to black screen, and be greeted with the first step again on next boot.

Thats where I ended this morning, at 4am. Next, I decided to force access to cmd by getting into recovery mode and tried to do some repair and scanning there with sfc, dism, and chkdsk and some other tool, only sfc found corrupt files and repaired them (after every bsod, it would find more corrupt files).

Finally, I caved to friend pressure and tried installing Windows 10. Windows 10 somehow went through the whole install process without fail, and I was able to get to desktop and install device drivers and programs like Steam etc. Then, when I was installing some windows updates, I got BSOD again. Also, I would get BSOD on the first launch of any game on steam, but not thereafter. I've encountered this crash with Skyrim SE and MW2/Warzone 2.0, and thats where I am now. As long as I don't install anything, or perform any updates, the machine seems stable. But when I start installing and updating things, crashes appear.

Temperatures, power levels, clock speeds etc all look perfectly within line for a waterloop pc (CPU, GPU on 2x 360mm rads), and I was able to get into a warzone match and run the game for ~30m without any issues, consistent framerate, etc.

Personally, I think the issue lies with RAM, and I've ordered some replacement test ram to try out for tomorrow, but I want to get feedback here as well. I have 3 minidump files here. The list of BSODs I remember I've experienced across this whole ordeal are as follows:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
ATTEMPTED_TO_WRITE_TO_READONLY_DIRECTORY
REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
ntoskrnl.exe
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Any ideas or feedback on what the issue might be are greatly appreciated! Let me know if you need any more info from me.

EDIT:

Updated Minidump here.

EDIT:

Updated Minidump here. 12/6/22

EDIT:

Updated Minidump here. 12/7/22

Last edited:
Solution
I replaced both the CPU and Motherboard with copies and now we're cool and smooth in Windows 11 Pro. New Mobo was already on latest bios version, so nothing needed there.

As a side note, my 4TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G was also indeed broken, its being RMA'd.

codelode

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I replaced both the CPU and Motherboard with copies and now we're cool and smooth in Windows 11 Pro. New Mobo was already on latest bios version, so nothing needed there.

As a side note, my 4TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus-G was also indeed broken, its being RMA'd.

Solution