Many desktop icons gone and wallpaper no longer displaying?

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi All,

I am facing a strange issue in Windows 7. This morning when I turned my computer on the background wallpaper was missing, and most (but not all) desktop icons were missing.

The desktop icons in question include recent Excel and Word documents that I have not backed up elsewhere!

I first performed a System Restore in the hope of getting everything back to normal. However unfortunately this did not help.

After this I checked the Recycle Bin and found a number of files which had originally come from the desktop. I clicked on these and selected 'Restore', doing so presented a message to the affect of "The Desktop already has this file, do you want to replace it''; to which I responded with 'Do not copy' (or similar) - in essence cancelling the Restore operation.

Strangely now when I look at the desktop I see the files that I restored from the Recycle Bin. But I am still not seeing many of the files that seemed to have 'disappeared' (which primarily consists of more recent files that I never sent to the Recycle Bin).

I have removed the hard drive and connected it to a second computer in order to scan for viruses; so far AVG Ultimate has found none, and MalwareBytes is a fair way through scanning without yet detecting any threats.

Assuming that the issue I am presented with is not being caused by a virus can anybody offer any other possible causes and / or ways to fix the issue?

Kind Regards,

Davo