[SOLVED] Many PC problems.. not sure where to start.

Thomor

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Hey all, I got this PC 6 months ago and recently it's started giving me problem after problem I'm not even sure where to start on troubleshooting. I'll start by listing my PC specs and then all the problems I've been having to see if you guys have an insight. I should also note that I've already done all the basic stuff such as checking drivers and reinstalling the recommended ones for all hardware.

Specs

Ryzen 5 3600X CPU
Radeon RX 590 8GB XFX Fatboy Edition GPU
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8) 3200Mhz RAM
Adata SX6000 Pro M.2 1TB SSD
B450 Aorus Elite Motherboard
Corsair 650W VS Series VS-650 PSU
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Problems

Sometimes when I boot up the PC from shutdown it wont load up windows, instead will display a black screen that tells me to insert viable boot media. Boot menu and BIOS still recognise that the SSD Windows is installed on exists, but just wont load windows from it. Happens roughly every few days randomly, and fixes after several reboots.

Playing demanding games such as Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Origins and Shadow of the Tomb Raider causes CTD's very often but randomly, sometimes every 45mins-1hour, sometimes I can play 6+ hours with no crash, no pattern.

Playing demanding games sometimes causes BSOD's at around the same frequency as the CTD's listed above. BSOD stop codes are numerous with common one being MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, but I've had at least 5 other different stop codes including something about corruption, kernal power, irql something, pagefile etc...

Less demanding games also sometimes having CTD's for completely random reasons such as World of Warcraft crashing because of a critical error in the Voice Proxy exe.

Microphone sometimes resets it's volume to 0 in the Windows sound settings, though the Headphones are not affected and they are both on the same unit - a headset.

Web Browsers sometimes have the pages crash especially when watching videos with errors such as Status Access Violation.

New issue just this morning: PSU made a sound like a chainsaw revving up for about 20 seconds when I booted up the PC, hasn't repeated it since.

I have no idea where to even start with thinking about what all these issues have in common with each other and what exactly is the problem. Hopefully one of you could point me in a direction.

Cheers.

Solution
I would recommend checking on the PSU first to see if everything is fine.

If it is, then the next step would be to do a CMOS reset and update the BIOS.

After that there a few other things, but refer to stuff I mentioned in my above post.
I would try and eliminate things.
First I would look at the PSU voltages with a program like HWInfo.
They should remain within 5% of +5, +12 and + 3.3 at ALL times...even under high load.
If those are good...I would check the temps...I like the CPU under 70C and GPU under 80-82C. You can do that with HWinfo as well or Afterburner.

Thomor

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
I would try and eliminate things.
First I would look at the PSU voltages with a program like HWInfo.
They should remain within 5% of +5, +12 and + 3.3 at ALL times...even under high load.
If those are good...I would check the temps...I like the CPU under 70C and GPU under 80-82C. You can do that with HWinfo as well or Afterburner.

Hi thanks for the advice. I've been using a program called HWMonitor to track temps and my GPU peaked at 74c and my CPU peaked at 69c during my gaming sessions today. Both are air cooled.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Did you buy this motherboard brand new?
If not, then I assume the BIOS was updated to support the 3600X, but AFTER it already had an older CPU in it.
IF this is the case, then check for a BIOS update just to make sure you're on the latest one, then perform a CMOS reset.

However, if that isn't the case, then you bought it new, did you use an older CPU to get the BIOS updated?
Did it come shipped with an updated BIOS?
Or did you use something like Falshback to update the BIOS without a CPU to support the 3rd Gen CPU?

Make sure your RAM is slotted properly one in each channel (so either A1+B1 or A2+B2, refer to motherboard manual for correct slots)

As mentioned above, check on the PSU voltages and stuff as well as CPU and GPU temps.

Double and triple check connections of cables that plug into anything.

Get back to me on my initial questions about the motherboard, BIOS, and CPU history before I start offering any other advice.

Thomor

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Did you buy this motherboard brand new?
If not, then I assume the BIOS was updated to support the 3600X, but AFTER it already had an older CPU in it.
IF this is the case, then check for a BIOS update just to make sure you're on the latest one, then perform a CMOS reset.

However, if that isn't the case, then you bought it new, did you use an older CPU to get the BIOS updated?
Did it come shipped with an updated BIOS?
Or did you use something like Falshback to update the BIOS without a CPU to support the 3rd Gen CPU?

Make sure your RAM is slotted properly one in each channel (so either A1+B1 or A2+B2, refer to motherboard manual for correct slots)

As mentioned above, check on the PSU voltages and stuff as well as CPU and GPU temps.

Double and triple check connections of cables that plug into anything.

Get back to me on my initial questions about the motherboard, BIOS, and CPU history before I start offering any other advice.

Hi, I have downloaded the HWinfo to check the voltages, but there is a lot of info on there and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, I can see data for everything except the PSU.

All components were brand new, the entire PC build was so there hasn't been any other combination of components going on, and I assume the Motherboard came with the updated BIOS since I didn't need to do anything fancy to get it to work.

Hi, I have downloaded the HWinfo to check the voltages, but there is a lot of info on there and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, I can see data for everything except the PSU.

All components were brand new, the entire PC build was so there hasn't been any other combination of components going on, and I assume the Motherboard came with the updated BIOS since I didn't need to do anything fancy to get it to work.
You have to hunt around....I think they may be listed under the motherboard....I don't have HWInfo in front of me at the moment so I can't say for sure. Also....I have seen where HWInfo doesn't report all three voltages. I think this might be a function of the motherboard. If HWINfo doesn't report them, it's easy to check the PSU with a multimeter if you have to. You can google how to do this.

....but most of the time....HWInfo reports the voltages for me.