Many problems booting linux from usb

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smith_

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hello, i am new to this forum and very new to linux and a newbie to using a usb as a bootable device.

My OS is currently windows xp sp3 32bit.
I have been using universal usb installer, linux live usb creator, and unetbootin. My flash drive is an 8gb PNY (i think usb 2.0).

I have been trying to download a working linux distro with persistance on my usb, so that i can do my code assignments and compile them with linux.

My first attempt was cent os live cd; i was able to get it to boot, but with no persistance.
I decided to try another linux and i tried to do a manual format of the drive by erasing all the files....and i think i may have removed some important hidden folders from the usb itself. I ran the error checking tool for the usb volume, but there was no error so i proceeded.

Next i tried to boot mint linux and puppy linux after Cent OS but i got an error message ("boot error") when trying to boot the usb in bios. Just recently i tried ubuntu 12.4 desktop i386 and was able to get to the purple ubuntu menu with options: (install, try without installing and etc). I tried all the options but was given the error message "unable to find a medium containing a live file system."

Why (depending on the linux distro and the usb creator i use) does my usb shows up in different sections of my bios boot options -> (when i press F12).

Also, i have been testing the usb on my sisters windows 7 laptop alongside my desktop; and found that some of the linux distros would boot up further than on my desktop.

Any help with this problem or ideas on a lightweight linux to use would be appreciated!
-Aaron

Solution

Sorry, didn't catch this, fd0 means it's trying to load your floppy drive for some reason and you probably haven't got one. Disable floppy in the bios if it is there and if problem still persists edit syslinux.cfg on your flash.
Change where it says initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash
to
initrd=/casper/initrd.gz...

smith_

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I'm just using the usb linux to do coding. So it's alright if its a bit laggy at the start.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

That's great. If we're done here mark it solved and we can move on to coding recommendations but that should be a new thread. There are some great code writing aids in linux.