MANY QUESTIONS! for smart people!

G

I know NOTHING about LCD panels! but I wonna know EVERYTHING! I'm going to buy one, but wonna know for the future. I know they use some kind of crystals. is there a pitch, what this brightness contrast? I need to know all factors!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
ok, this is gonna be a long one. Flat panels are "by nature" digital devices, hence if you get one with a DVi port it probably will improve picture quality as well as pixel jitter- you just need to know that pixel jitter is bad. In addition, there are things called defective pixels in which 1 or more pixels don't work. Nowadays, that can be avoided with quality models. As for brightness, LCD's really don't have a problem with it- so don't worry about it. As for contrast ratios, anything 300:1 is good- your screen won't seem washed out; although 350:1 is better. There is also a thing called response time which is how long it takes for the crystals to respond. Typically, most LCd's now have response times of 30-40 ms, but that is going down. Of course, if you use an LCD at 0ºC, the response time is seriously made higher. Bad response time makes the image look fuzzy, as well as having a shadow, and response times of 80ms may even make you dizzy. Try to get something with a refresh rate of 75Hz, not the old 60Hz- although it doesn't really matter. If ya want a good LCD, the new one from Sharp are nice, as is the L371 from Eizo.
If you have any more questions, ask me.

G

I'm just curios, I'll go with CRT next fw years and then we'll see, right now I'm on kind of a vocation and use this old laptop (p1 with 96 RAM and 5gug HDD) and I can see there are A LOT of missing pixels, and I can see the full picture ONLY when I look at 90 degrees at it, otherwise I don't see anything at all and then colors are not kind of together, seems like it doesn't have enough colors or so, it can't make it smooth like going from blue to dark blue color - I can see just 2 separate colors, but with CRTs it is smoothed, and then this LCD I'm using has a distortion about 2mm top line, I can understand CRT's tube was desighned incorreectly and I got a distortion, but LCD?... Also I tried to play a game like Age of Empires and the game was pretty smooth but this panel was like skipping frames or so, I can't change a refresh rate at all. WHy is all that? are there sizes of pixels? If I'll ever get an LCD it will be in 4 years when all those things will be corrected and by that ime LCDs will cost as much as now CRTs I think. WHat is DVi out BTW?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
You laptop is just so old, the LCD is low quality, and it is 256,000 colors, not 16.7M. That is teh color discontinuation. In addition, there are many dead pixels on your monitor b/c it is old (have u pressed on the screen) and also teh technologies back then for making LCd weren't as good. I have officialy stopped buying CRT's as of now, b/c in my opinion they suck. Hence, get a good LCd and you will be very satisfied. DVI is a digital port for monitors.

G

Well i know LCDs are better but I can't afford one,
this laptop has 16bit colors, there is about 1 square inch of pixels missing in the upper left corner

G

if it is a block of pixels missing than it might not be that the pixels in the display are defect but rather the connetion to the display is damaged by the repeated open/close of the display over the years. sounds like one of the adressing wires is broken.

respect!