MAPI Error in Outlook Express

JWK

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
When I try & export messages from Outlook Express, I get the following error mesage:

An export could not be performed
An error occured while initializing MAPI

I found this site:

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/windows_9x_nt/email/oe_4.0/2179.psc.html

Which explains the problem is that "When importing or exporting messages, this error can occur if you configure Outlook Express to be the default Simple Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) client."

And then to "Remove the setting that sets Outlook Express as the default MAPI client."

If I do this, what is the down side. Will I have problems with something else.I don't understand the significance of doing what is suggested.

Thanks for any help,

Ape

JWK

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
...infact, even this link is no good as it's not for Win XP. There is no box to untick in my version of Outlook Express (Version 6)for stoping Outlook from being the default MAPI client.

Any help appreciated.

Ape

Use Set Program Access and Defaults in the Add / Remove programs, or you can go into the Internet Options and specify a different default email client there.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>