doody

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
This is driving me nuts. I have a drive connected to my Nighthawk X10 R9000 in USB 3 port. It is set up for the Plex Server built into the routers software. All of a sudden things in plex dont show up, and I also have the drive Mapped in explorer to add and remove media. Everything was running great for a long time, now I cannot access certain folders and some access but take so long to access finally. For example I have a Movies folder and a TV shows folder on the same drive, I can access TV shows no problem opens fast, the Movies folder takes like 30sec to a minute to access and open. Then certain folders under those folders open and others will not. I just went to access either mapped folder to see a error message to type here and now I cannot connect to either. This is what I'm talking about, it's so erratic. I was running windows 1809, then updated to 1903, now updated yesterday to 1909 hoping this will fix something. The main system in using Ethernet cable to this router to access internet and drive. I don't know what the issue is or how to fix this, please help.

Solution
I went from a 6TB drive to a 10TB drive oce the 6TB got full. Don't think I had issues in the beginning with the 10TB. How would capacity be an issue? it is only passing through the information from the drive, it not an external enclosure. By the way thanks for all the help.
Gotcha. Well, capacity can be an issue when router makers didn't make microcode to access such large drives. It's why nas units sometimes don't work with larger drives.

And if you're using a usb 3.0 drive, there most certainly is a bridge board that is going from sata to usb, which in turn then has to be read by the router which may not be able to reach such a large drive.

Best way to test this is to try accessing anything that was on the old 6TB...

doody

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Hi SamirD, drive is new. Also I connected it directly works perfect. I also tried from another system now to connect to the drive through router and has the same issues. Also I noticed if the drive is connected to router and playing a video that will play it gets blocky and choppy. This doesn't happen directly. Can it be something with the router? The router is a year old and never had issues with it, could there be a setting?

doody

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I went from a 6TB drive to a 10TB drive oce the 6TB got full. Don't think I had issues in the beginning with the 10TB. How would capacity be an issue? it is only passing through the information from the drive, it not an external enclosure. By the way thanks for all the help.

Gotcha. Well, capacity can be an issue when router makers didn't make microcode to access such large drives. It's why nas units sometimes don't work with larger drives.

And if you're using a usb 3.0 drive, there most certainly is a bridge board that is going from sata to usb, which in turn then has to be read by the router which may not be able to reach such a large drive.

Best way to test this is to try accessing anything that was on the old 6TB drive--I bet these will work fine. Then try accessing some newer stuff (which probably wrote after 6TB on the drive)--and if that stuff is having issues, that's your problem.

I would also contact the router maker and check to see if a 10TB drive is officially supported. If not, there's possibly a technical reason why.

Solution

doody

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Oh man I hope that's not the issue. This router was over $400 dollars, and wanting to use a plex server I will only get bigger drives as I fill this one. I am going to do just that and contact Netgear and see if this is an issue and if it is if they can make a new firmware supporting Bigger drives. I have a feeling this might be it, hopefully there is a fix or workaround. I'll let you know what they say.

Holy cow that's ridiculous. I've got enterprise routers that cost that much, and with capabilities far beyond any consumer routers. It's insane that any consumer router would cost that much.

I have several netgear products and I wouldn't hold your breath on them making a firmware to fix the issue if a max drive size issue exists. You would actually be better off just getting a nas unit that supports plex. Jack of all trades=master of none. ;)