[SOLVED] Mapped Drive won't connect

Feb 20, 2020
I'm running into a huge issue with the town I'm helping for a family member. They have a hard drive mapped for their payroll software so it can be accessed by two different users from two different computers. For some reason yesterday it started saying that it "couldn't reconnect all network drives" and it has a red "X" on the drive if you look at it. The previous IT guy set a username and password for it that no one seems to know but it was saved and was connecting automatically so it was never an issue, but now I am not sure what to do. I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to reconnect, and if I click on the drive it asks for the username and password. I have tried to run the workaround script descibed on Microsoft's support site with no luck. Looking for any advice anyone can give. I'm not a pro IT guy. I know quite a bit about what I'm doing with computers but I'm not overly familiar with mapped drives as I've never worked with them before. The computer is running Windows 10.

Solution
So conceptually you'll need to understand some things to rgd1101 can help you better.

There is a drive in one of those computers that has the payroll data. That drive will be able to be accessed directly by that computer without a password because the drive is physically in the computer . This is what we need. Once you have this information, rgd1101 will be able to help further.

once he find the physical location of the drive. anyone can help.

could be the ip address on pc that have the payroll data changed.
Feb 20, 2020
try connect to that mapped drive with the admin account for that pc?
I have, but it won't connect. That's the only account they use with that computer it is the admin one, and to add to it the username/password for the mapped drive isn't the same as the computer admin username/password

Feb 20, 2020
look at the mapped drive folder (shared) on the source pc and add admin to it.
Not to ask a dumb question but how would I do that? Everything I have tried to date has asked me to enter a username/password. Could you direct me a little on how to proceed? Appreciate in advance any help, thanks!

Feb 20, 2020
no.

figure out where the share directory/folder on the source pc. right click and go to properties
OK, yeah when I do that it is asking for the username/password which no one has. I can't believe their old IT guy never wrote any of that info down anywhere 🤷‍♂️

Feb 20, 2020
where did it ask for username/password?
If you have a file explorer window open for example where you can see a directory of drives and can see the red “X” over the mapped “F:” drive, and you click the drive it brings up a dialogue box asking for your username and password. Or if you right click the mapped drive and click properties it brings up the dialogue box asking for your username and password.

rgd1101

Don't
If you have a file explorer window open for example where you can see a directory of drives and can see the red “X” over the mapped “F:” drive, and you click the drive it brings up a dialogue box asking for your username and password. Or if you right click the mapped drive and click properties it brings up the dialogue box asking for your username and password.
That the client. I'm asking for the source/server

Feb 20, 2020
That the client. I'm asking for the source/server
Bear with me a little here, like I said I’m not an expert but here goes. The computer I’m on and am referencing is the terminal that the drive is mapped on. They only have two computers and I am trying to access the drive from the main one, so it is (if I am understanding this all correctly) the source or server in question.

Feb 20, 2020
yes the main one. that were you set the username/password on that folder
This is where we have the problem that no one knows what the old IT guy set the username and password as. Wasn’t a problem as it was automatically connecting everyday until something happened yesterday and we started getting the error message. If I could figure out what is causing it to not reconnect automatically and correct that we should be able to correct it as the username and password is saved from the previous setup. I just don’t know what is causing this new error with the connection

Feb 20, 2020
so you can't login to the main?
No, when the computer boots up now, starting yesterday out of the blue, it says it can’t reconnect to all network drives and there’s a red “X” on the mapped “F:” drive. Prior to yesterday it was connecting fine but no one seems to no what caused this. I thought it could be a Windows 10 issue. There were no updates applied yesterday so that wasn’t the issue.

Feb 20, 2020
No, when the computer boots up now, starting yesterday out of the blue, it says it can’t reconnect to all network drives and there’s a red “X” on the mapped “F:” drive. Prior to yesterday it was connecting fine but no one seems to no what caused this. I thought it could be a Windows 10 issue. There were no updates applied yesterday so that wasn’t the issue.
Ok. I'm lost. the main have a mapped "F:" where is that pointing to?
Let me rephrase. I can log into the main computer. The “F:” drive is the mapped drive in question on the main computer and that is the drive that we can’t connect to. Does that clarify?

Feb 20, 2020
"F:" is a physical drive on main?
Yes. It is my understanding that there is only 1 physical drive in the computer and that it was mapped to create the "F:" drive for the specific payroll software they use. It has the "F:" drive association as well as a "\\198.xxx.x.x" address, though I'm not at it right now so I can't give you the exact address it is showing.

So conceptually you'll need to understand some things to rgd1101 can help you better.

There is a drive in one of those computers that has the payroll data. That drive will be able to be accessed directly by that computer without a password because the drive is physically in the computer . This is what we need. Once you have this information, rgd1101 will be able to help further.

rgd1101

Don't

once he find the physical location of the drive. anyone can help.

could be the ip address on pc that have the payroll data changed.

Last edited:
Solution