Question March 2023 update reinstall : repeated SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Error

Robomcd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
After Windows 1 March 2023 update my PC crashed. Tried roll back or restore and repair, no dice. Repair install with Media Creation Tool and bootable W10 install drive: repair crash, cleaned C: of everything, clean install: crash. Got another bootable disk to install: crash. Finally figured out the BSoD error message (why does that disappear so quickly?).

Windows could not load, error "System Thread Exception not Handled".

Summary of events:
While working Friday evening (Czech Republic, Europe) saw an update screen: "update is ready let us show you around" or something like that.

1. Closed that screen and shortly thereafter shut down PC.
  2. Saturday morning: start up and crash. Figured out problem was I switched off after "I am done" message while actually Windows was not done updating yet.
  3. PC kept crashing, not possible to roll back or go to restore points.
  4. Finally managed to get a bootable drive and tried to repair and then reinstall Windows.
  5. No success so cleaned C: SSD drive and did a clean reinstall.
  6. Windows seemed ready, so I reconnected to Internet and tried to update: crash.
  7. Asked my colleagues at work (academic institution in Czech Republic) to make another fresh bootable Windows install drive.
  8. Installed windows: before connecting to internet tried to install latest drive for my GPU: halfway through: crash.
  9. Finally managed to identify the error message: Windows could not load, error "system thread exception not handled"
  10. When clean-installing, all additional drives and external devices were disconnected (except monitor, mouse, keyboard).
That error message mostly indicates old incompatible drivers (or ???), but this is a clean and fresh install!

Any idea what is wrong and how to continue?

I saw many other people with those problems but most answers start with "in windows, do this or that". Since Saturday morning (now 4 days), I cannot get into Windows but end up in a reboot cycle, even after trying to do a clean install on an empty SSD.

The bootable drive uses Windows November 2022,;at that time, my PC worked perfectly.

Any ideas how to proceed or solutions?

PS1: I installed W10 with internet disconnected, no MS Account linked.

PS2: set-up
This is an old self-built PC, Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro gen 3 ; CPU i7-2600k; 16 GB RAM, ASUS-NVIDIA GTX 570. New Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD (checked, excellent condition) as OS, 250 GB SSD for video editing, 1 TB SSD for daily data work and pictures, 2 HDDs (1TB+2TB) as data and media backup.

We also have a brand new HP laptop and an older Macbook Air (running mostly windows). To get access to old games and data floppies, also just repaired a Windows 2000 PC and two XP machines out of old stuff laying around here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you get BSOD on a clean install, its often not software to blame. Windows generally isn't the cause of them on a clean install.

I would consider running memtest
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Robomcd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
Was thinking about RAM as well, they are now 11-12 year old. I am using 4x 4GB Kingston DDR 3 sticks (Kingston KHX1866C9D3/4G). I do a little video editing output quality max 1080p. No gaming on this PC.

Memtest86 is now at test 9 of pass 1 of 4, of the first stick. Took 34 minutes.

Question. The first pass will find serious problems rather quick. Is it an idea to do a first pass on each stick before continue in more rounds?

If each stick passes the first round with zero errors, maybe it will save time to start look elsewhere.

Running windows file explorer. The only way how to do that is by cleaning the SSD again, start installing from scratch, and hope you can open file explorer immediately without crash. At this moment I can ONLY get into the repair screen, nothing else.

Last edited:

Robomcd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
Memtest86 I pass for each stick: no problem.

Removed the GPU

Again clean install: worked like a charm, Windwos update did its thing so I am up to date.

Once I am sure its stable I will reinstall the GPU manually.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Robomcd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
This is a 12 year old rig using 4 Kingston DDR3 1866 Mhz 4 GB sticks and an Intel i7 2600k CPU. We run a small museum as non profit, and can display that rig there. Or use it as anvil in our historic smithy 😄