? mark in device manager

noel123ie

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hi all!

Newbie here from Ireland

I ve a Dell Dimension E520 ang getting the ? mark next to Ethernet Controller and Multimedia Audio Controller

Ive downlaoded all relevent drivers but no luck?

Any idea would be great as do not want to replace machine/board if is a software issue.

If you need any more details please let me

Any help would be great
Noel

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Did you go to Dells website and download the drivers? There are 2 different audio drivers and only one network or ethernet driver. See link below.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_E520&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

This is for XP. Try Dells online chat tech support.

double left click on one of the devices with the ? mark and see what the device status is then do the same for the other one with an ? mark. 3 posts in and you figure this would be the first thing anyone would tell you to do

It is telling you, you need to find the correct drivers for that pc. You have to get the specific ethernet drivers for your OS.

What kind of internet connection do you use? Do you have a router?

If you have a router, you can use an adapter to connect to the internet via usb port, instead of the ethernet port.

noel123ie

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hi there

Thanks for reply ya on a broadbacnd router

However all seems ok on my machine except for I have no sound.

How would find drivers for these on the web is there softtrware I can run on machine to tell me exactly what hardware is on my machine

I tried dell site but does not give much information

ive tried to install drivers by downloading then from web and running from cd but no luck.

I was wondering is it that these piecews of hardware may have failed?

Thanks for your help,
Noel

unfortunetly sense its a dell the only easy option you have is to go to the dell website and search for the drivers for your specific model of PC. other than that you will have to find out what is the make and model of your motherboard and see if you can find the drivers that way. are you just downloading the drivers from the internet or are you also installing them as well?