Question Market Trends in PC Displays Among PC Gamers

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
I'm aware ultrawide monitors are currently a small % of the market among the PC gaming community as indicated by Steam survey data; but do you think that there will be a greater movement towards 4K or towards ultrawide over the next several years among PC monitor buyers (who are buying at least in part for gaming purposes)?

Edit: I meant to ask if there will be more movement to 4K or ultrawide (that is to say, 4K vs ultrawide). As in, which will be the fastest growing new standard? 4K or ultrawide? Sorry for phrasing that in an unclear manner.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Yes, it should, given how we only went from more to actually wanting more. The progression was impeded with the pandemic as well as some other global factors. If they didn't come to be, then the adoption/migration rate by the masses would've been a higher number. The same can be said for itx builds and the itx motherboard market. A decade ago, it was niche. Now, it's as popular as a traditional ATX build.

I'm aware ultrawide monitors are currently a small % of the market among the PC gaming community as indicated by Steam survey data; but do you think that there will be a greater movement towards 4K or towards ultrawide over the next several years among PC monitor buyers (who are buying at least in part for gaming purposes)?

Edit: I meant to ask if there will be more movement to 4K or ultrawide (that is to say, 4K vs ultrawide). As in, which will be the fastest growing new standard? 4K or ultrawide? Sorry for phrasing that in an unclear manner.
Most gamers are obsessed with FPS so whichever monitor allows them to display their highest FPS will be the direction they go in. This would include whichever monitor provides the highest sync rate regardless of size and format.

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
Most gamers are obsessed with FPS so whichever monitor allows them to display their highest FPS will be the direction they go in. This would include whichever monitor provides the highest sync rate regardless of size and format.

My preference is whatever gives me more game immersion. I'd rather 60 FPS on a massive 4K display that fills more of my vision than get hundreds of FPS at 1080p. But then I tend to like immersive story RPG type of games rather than competitive esports stuff.

My preference is whatever gives me more game immersion. I'd rather 60 FPS on a massive 4K display that fills more of my vision than get hundreds of FPS at 1080p. But then I tend to like immersive story RPG type of games rather than competitive esports stuff.
I'm just going by what I see in the messages here in the forum where the bulk of them are about FPS, monitor sync rates, and why they're not higher. Most of the comments here are about 1440p monitors rather than 4K.

Reactions: MarsColonist