[SOLVED] Marks on intel cpu

Exi

Aug 16, 2021
hi, I bought a used i9-9900k. The person said they used it in there pc and it worked fine and there is some uncleaned/dried (i dont know if that’s the right word) thermal paste on it so that is a sign of it being used before.
But on the back there is some weird marks on it. This is my first pc build and I don’t know much about how to tell if the cpu works or not (and I don’t have a motherboard to test it on yet). If anyone knows what they are please tell me
HS1WiFt.jpg
R2XOg9L.jpg

Solution
If I were going to take a guess I would venture that perhaps some cleaning agent for removing paste seeped down? Perhaps where someone touched it?

I don't see anything that would make me reticent to attempt to install it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If I were going to take a guess I would venture that perhaps some cleaning agent for removing paste seeped down? Perhaps where someone touched it?

I don't see anything that would make me reticent to attempt to install it.

Solution

Exi

Aug 16, 2021
Then why are you buying used parts?
I originally wasn't and was gonna buy from micro center because they had the i9-10850k for i think $319 but i saw someone like 10 minutes away selling a i9-9900k for I think $170 in good condition so I just went with that because it was better than taking an hour drive to micro center

Exi

Aug 16, 2021
Hmmm...I change my stance--I think you might have gotten a good deal because they were in a bind for cash (it happens).

Still, won't know until you test it!
yea, they did offer that I could bring a PC there to test it but I couldn't because I haven't bought the motherboard yet

Exi

Aug 16, 2021
I looked up the i9-9900kf (I just realized I forgot the F) and theres only a couple on ebay selling for a similar price (around $175-$250) so it is a bit weird that they sold that low but I guess i'll see soon