Marksman Mod and my problems

kdogg

I have downloaded this 15Mb mod and when I extracted it, all there was
in this 15Mb file was a 34Kb esp and 2 small tga files. Where's the
rest of it? I can't believe there is so much NOT in the .rar file I've
d/l'd. Maybe even the author scans this group and can let me know.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

KDogg wrote:
> I have downloaded this 15Mb mod and when I extracted it, all there was
> in this 15Mb file was a 34Kb esp and 2 small tga files. Where's the
> rest of it? I can't believe there is so much NOT in the .rar file I've
> d/l'd. Maybe even the author scans this group and can let me know.

It's things like this that are the reason why modders of a Windows
game should use ZIP, and ONLY ZIP, when distributing plugins.

caleb

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

"rock" <rock@almost.bestweb.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> KDogg wrote:
> > I have downloaded this 15Mb mod and when I extracted it, all there was
> > in this 15Mb file was a 34Kb esp and 2 small tga files. Where's the
> > rest of it? I can't believe there is so much NOT in the .rar file I've
> > d/l'd. Maybe even the author scans this group and can let me know.
>
> It's things like this that are the reason why modders of a Windows
> game should use ZIP, and ONLY ZIP, when distributing plugins.

Maybe 'cause RAR is as efficient as ZIP - and in some cases MORE efficient?
KDogg, are you SURE you chose "extract all files in archive"? RAR can be
deceptive, since it doesn't list _every_ single filein the archive like
winzip does

(filename ------ path)

but displays them in Windows style, like you were browsing a folder. I know
it can be confusing, it did fool me too a couple of times when i first put
my hands on it.

Double check the archive (for example, extracting it with full folder
information under c:\windows\desktop) and check out what happens on your
desktop.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Caleb wrote:
> "rock" <rock@almost.bestweb.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>KDogg wrote:
>>
>>>I have downloaded this 15Mb mod and when I extracted it, all there was
>>>in this 15Mb file was a 34Kb esp and 2 small tga files. Where's the
>>>rest of it? I can't believe there is so much NOT in the .rar file I've
>>>d/l'd. Maybe even the author scans this group and can let me know.
>>
>>It's things like this that are the reason why modders of a Windows
>>game should use ZIP, and ONLY ZIP, when distributing plugins.
>

> Maybe 'cause RAR is as efficient as ZIP - and in some cases MORE efficient?

Let's see. I grab a zip, unzip it, and have all the files.
I grab a rar, unrar ir, and files are missing. The plugin is
unusable. How is this "efficient"?

> Caleb wrote:
> > "rock" <rock@almost.bestweb.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

> >>It's things like this that are the reason why modders of a Windows
> >>game should use ZIP, and ONLY ZIP, when distributing plugins.
> >

> > Maybe 'cause RAR is as efficient as ZIP - and in some cases MORE
efficient?

> Let's see. I grab a zip, unzip it, and have all the files.
> I grab a rar, unrar ir, and files are missing. The plugin is
> unusable. How is this "efficient"?

Lemme say that again: you SURE you double checked everything? As far as I
can tell, 99% of trouble with well-known, widely distributed utilities are
caused by users not bothering to actually LOOK at what they're doing.

--
Caleb