Marvel Heroes MMO Is Diablo But With Superheroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Free to play is always good. I'm tired of Diablo 3 starter edition. All characters stuck at level 13, and $60 is too much. I hope it's a better game too.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
A game style I don't care about set in a universe I don't care about using a distribution mechanic I don't care about - all because each is so dumb & lazy.

I've yet to see an RPG that requires brainpower or rewards skill.
Marvel is so cookie-cutter, even if they did play a large part in designing the cookie. Then again, they've never been remotely intellectual.
Online F2P: Hooking the easily addicted masses and draining many of their wallets via effortless pay to win.

Very yuck :)

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]A game style I don't care about set in a universe I don't care about using a distribution mechanic I don't care about - all because each is so dumb & lazy.[/citation]
No-one is forcing you to play it or even take note of it.
[citation]I've yet to see an RPG that requires brainpower or rewards skill.[/citation]
If it required actual skill (which brings up another question of 'what is skill?'), then it probably would be in favour of those who have the better ping, which doesn't take skill.

Skill - like WoW? Is remembering abilities of many classes and knowing when to use certain abilities skill? Is communication a skill? Is countering/beating a counter skill? Is having better equipment skill? Is awareness and foresight skill? Positioning?

If you could define 'skill', that'd be great.

[citation]Marvel is so cookie-cutter, even if they did play a large part in designing the cookie. Then again, they've never been remotely intellectual.Online F2P: Hooking the easily addicted masses and draining many of their wallets via effortless pay to win.Very yuck[/citation]
You do realise that it's a business, right? It's about making money. They don't care about your experience or your thoughts or how it plays. If it will make them money, they'll do it. If it won't, they couldn't care less.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hp79[/nom]Free to play is always good. I'm tired of Diablo 3 starter edition. All characters stuck at level 13, and $60 is too much. I hope it's a better game too.[/citation]

Huh, then you are pretty much stuck. $59.99 is the normal price. 99.9% positive that this game is no different.

By the way, D3 is fantastic so you should just go ahead a eat the $60. Not many companies continue to support a game for over 5 years with patches, content and updates. Blizzard was still releasing content and updates at the 10 year mark. Not to mention that the Diablo series was always extremely replayable.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]No-one is forcing you to play it or even take note of it.[citation]I've yet to see an RPG that requires brainpower or rewards skill.[/citation]If it required actual skill (which brings up another question of 'what is skill?'), then it probably would be in favour of those who have the better ping, which doesn't take skill.Skill - like WoW? Is remembering abilities of many classes and knowing when to use certain abilities skill? Is communication a skill? Is countering/beating a counter skill? Is having better equipment skill? Is awareness and foresight skill? Positioning?If you could define 'skill', that'd be great.[citation]Marvel is so cookie-cutter, even if they did play a large part in designing the cookie. Then again, they've never been remotely intellectual.Online F2P: Hooking the easily addicted masses and draining many of their wallets via effortless pay to win.Very yuck[/citation]You do realise that it's a business, right? It's about making money. They don't care about your experience or your thoughts or how it plays. If it will make them money, they'll do it. If it won't, they couldn't care less.[/citation]

I have to agree, no skill or brain power involved in playing arpg's or regular rpg's. aRPG's tend to be just good fun. There is some thought put into how you organize your skills and what equipment to use but that is about it. The only additional trait you need for RPG's vs aRPG's is just patience.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I think they should've just stuck with the MMORPG that was supposed to come out before DCUO, which is what became known as "Champions Online", because Marvel didn't like what they saw, this game however just does not look at all appealing!

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
This looks like it is going to be a great game. I am not sure if this initial reaction is due to my pleasure with the Avengers movie combined with how much fun I have been having cutting my way through the first 2 Act's of Diablo 3, but at the end of the day a good comic book video game is a treasure when you find one. So lets just hope the end product lives up to our expectations.

http://www.everygamer.com/
Blog about Video Games, Game Development and other geek entertainment.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]If you could define 'skill', that'd be great.[/citation]
In this context, skill is a heirarchy whereby persons with higher skill should routinely beat those with lower skill, and which meets the following criteria:

1. Skill is independent of persistance. IE, any current status (levels, gear, whatever) about online chars etc is irrelevant. This also goes for social groups. Being in a good team/guild/clan doesn't increase your skill.

2. Skill is independent of localised prior experience. Knowing how to beat a boss does not mean you're more skillful than someone who doesn't - although PvE skill isn't really true skill IMO.

3. Variability (or adaptability) must be part of a skill. A simple press X when Y happens is not adaptable. However, clicking shoot at enemy players is variable because you have to adapt it to where they are on screen.

Also, the difference in skill somewhat measurable (albeit not linearly) by the predictability of the outcome. A 95% chance of winning shows a significant skill difference.

So, compared to RPGs, FPSes and RTSes place enormous importance on skill.

That's all just made up off the top of my head so it's a bit random. I might think about it a bit more.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While I do look forward to this game I hope they add a feature to make our own heroes. As much as I love many Marvel characters nothing brings more joy than creating your own.

The roster will eventually consist of Marvel's more than 8,000 superheroes and villains.

Good luck trying to balance them all out and just imagine the fan reaction when Cypher beats Apocalypse in PVP.... actually when Cypher beats anyone!

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]hp79[/nom]Free to play is always good. I'm tired of Diablo 3 starter edition. All characters stuck at level 13, and $60 is too much. I hope it's a better game too.[/citation]

u want a better game with more stuff, but think $60 is too much
u are a cheap bastard
with inflation games are cheaper now than in most other times

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Tera is action/skill based combat, best graphics atm for mmos and pay to play.

Also offers PvP servers, non-grinding leveling, and upcoming nexus raid system looks amazing.

Easily the best MMO that's been released in many years. But i agree with you, tab target / diablo type rpgs are not very skill based, they're nothing more then gear check. I love Tera because it's more about aiming and skillfully fighting, while still maintaining rpg elements.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
looking forward to it, unless it has EA involved... In which case I'm not interested in something near guaranteed to flop. Sorry I just see EA as the poison of the gaming world. So much of there product would be so much better if EA didn't buy them out under the illusion that EA can make it "better".

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hp79[/nom]Free to play is always good. I'm tired of Diablo 3 starter edition. All characters stuck at level 13, and $60 is too much. I hope it's a better game too.[/citation]Most free to play games have really irritating revenue methods, and are often virtually unplayable without ponying up money anyway. There are a few exceptions, but by and large the F2P playing field sucks.

I'm OK with buying games, but I won't pay for a monthly fee unless its a true MMO. If you've only got a handful of players per game session, that's NOT an MMO, and there's no reason for a monthly fee.

niknikktm

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I wonder how much license players will be given in regard to being able to "customize" their characters from the Marvel character they will be using as a template. First reports on this game was that you would not be able to deviate much at all. The thought of a hundred Spider-Men, 50 Captain America's, 75 Hulks, 40 Thors, 80 Iron Men, etc....running around the gameplay universe just does not appeal to me.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]In this context, skill is a heirarchy whereby persons with higher skill should routinely beat those with lower skill, and which meets the following criteria:1. Skill is independent of persistance. IE, any current status (levels, gear, whatever) about online chars etc is irrelevant. This also goes for social groups. Being in a good team/guild/clan doesn't increase your skill.2. Skill is independent of localised prior experience. Knowing how to beat a boss does not mean you're more skillful than someone who doesn't - although PvE skill isn't really true skill IMO.3. Variability (or adaptability) must be part of a skill. A simple press X when Y happens is not adaptable. However, clicking shoot at enemy players is variable because you have to adapt it to where they are on screen.Also, the difference in skill somewhat measurable (albeit not linearly) by the predictability of the outcome. A 95% chance of winning shows a significant skill difference.So, compared to RPGs, FPSes and RTSes place enormous importance on skill.That's all just made up off the top of my head so it's a bit random. I might think about it a bit more.[/citation]
Check out Tera then, particularly the PvP. Gear still helps (as it does in any MMO) but skill plays a significantly larger part than your average MMO. Other than that maybe you should just stick with FPS games if you want purely skill driven combat (I'd recommend TF2 but the items in that game make entry for new players kind of difficult).

Anyway, this just seems to be Marvel Ultimate Alliance online to me. Not that they weren't fun games.

ihavenoid4u

Honorable
May 5, 2012
i just hope there are alot of personal adjustments you can make to your character. not pleased with the perspective of this mmo, but we will see how it turns out

Status
Not open for further replies.