Marvell 9182 and saberthooth x58 mobo

ryder57

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I have a Saberthooth x58 Mobo. it curently has Marvell 9128 controller I believe .
Question: How do I change the controller from 9128 to 9182 ?

Solution
Get a heat gun, carefully de-solder the Marvell controller from the motherboard, buy a 9182 controller and hope it has the same pin out's, and re-solder it back on.

You best bet is to buy a separate SATA controller for one of your PCI-Express slots.
Get a heat gun, carefully de-solder the Marvell controller from the motherboard, buy a 9182 controller and hope it has the same pin out's, and re-solder it back on.

You best bet is to buy a separate SATA controller for one of your PCI-Express slots.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
x58 motherboards are hard to come by. I wouldn't risk damaging it. Get an separate controller card.

Though I agree that 9128 chip wasn't the best, at least for SSDs (really only enough bandwidth for one SATAIII drive). We had nothing but trouble with RAID5 on them at work. It was always losing a drive for no reason and wouldn't rebuild from parity when a new drive was added. Basically had to start from scratch every time.

ryder57

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010

I thought you were being facetious until I read Eximo's answer.
I didnt know that could be done.
Also I didn't know you could replace it with a controller card . Thx Eximo

Thx Snipergod87